Hay!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hay!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hay!

I was looking for info on a long rang rifle and found this Forum. It looked good so here I am but I didn't find some thing specifically about what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask.
I'm looking for a good Rifle with rang grater than 400yards I've looked at SOCOM16s and some .308 any suggestions ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

well there are a number of things you need to consider. first and foremost, what will the rifle be used for? do you live somewhere that you need a long range hunting rifle for big game? want to shoot competitively? long range really doesn't tell us as much as you think. If you want to shoot competition you need to consider rules of the local clubs and or competition. shooting groundhogs? consider a 20-24" barrel ar-15. long range hunting? consider pretty much any quality bolt action. Most new QUALITY rifles will hold a 1" or better MOA, but that doesn't mean it applies to any application.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #3

And... some will disagree with me, but at greater than 400 yards the shooter matters at least as much if not more than the rifle itself. meaning at that kind of range the rifle is more accurate than you are, you have to know the rifle and know what you are doing. This means many hours of practice, and "snapping in" (practice shooting with snap caps, meant to work on form, trigger control, and follow through, can be done in the living room)

Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

Hey Trip, can you explain more about snapping in? I've never heard of that.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
Hey Trip, can you explain more about snapping in? I've never heard of that.

Thanks.
Another way of say to practice trigger control-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #6

Thanks Hoss! One can always use more practice in that area I'm sure.

If i may be so noobish, What are Snap caps?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
well there are a number of things you need to consider. first and foremost, what will the rifle be used for? do you live somewhere that you need a long range hunting rifle for big game? want to shoot competitively? long range really doesn't tell us as much as you think. If you want to shoot competition you need to consider rules of the local clubs and or competition. shooting groundhogs? consider a 20-24" barrel ar-15. long range hunting? consider pretty much any quality bolt action. Most new QUALITY rifles will hold a 1" or better MOA, but that doesn't mean it applies to any application.
I don't have one thing I'm going to do with it I don't shoot competition so that's not a problem I just want a rifle that doesn't drop to fast and is reliable what got me going on the socom was ...well the history I guess.
pluss I was hopping for a semiato
I'll use a min14 on the groundhogs.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #8

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
Thanks Hoss! One can always use more practice in that area I'm sure.

If i may be so noobish, What are Snap caps?
A snap cap is a dummy round made of plastic or wood that protects the firing pin when you practice dry firing...they can be loaded into a magazine and safely run through the action just like a live round.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #9

Thanks jpyle! I actually just did a search for em. I'd never heard of such a thing. Always thought you had to go live in order to get that practice in.

Thanks again!

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #10

snapping in... practice without "going live". you get some dummy rounds, and keeping safety first making sure THERE ARE NO LIVE ROUNDS, load the rifle, pistol, etc., and practice form, trigger control, and follow through. I do it in the living room, bedroom, backyard, wherever because there are no live rounds going downrange. This will also help with flinching problems a shooter may develop with magnum rifles.