Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Have 300WSM and .270 Win - Those enough without getting a .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That is off hogdons data center on there web site.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #32

Liked 16788 Times on 9733 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
Not the same bullet but heres a formula for you 130 grain barnes triple shock 52.2 grains of hybrid 100v starting load velocity is 2994, max load 55.5 grains velocity 3144. I was calling him a moron for not admiring it could even be done, I would not advocate a new reloader try something dangerous.
persoanlly i don't really give ratsa$$ about velocity, as i am more concerned with accuracy. velocity is just about bragging rights just like horsepower in cars is. i reload for accuracy, not speed. a couple on hundrenths in FPS doesn't mean a thing to me if it doesn't hit where i want it to. time and time again i have proven to myself that the fastest isn't always the most accurate reload. so just because they list data that goes that high, doesn't mean it's more accurate than the same bullet at less FPS in velocity. we can debate this back and forth all night long, but i just really don't have the desire to. you want to push bullets fast or whatever, then go for it. whatever floats your boat.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I could give a rats as about your attitude, if you would have taken the time to read the posts you would see why I was posting. 1 post was a explanation of why you could achieve 3000 fps where no book said it could achieve. The second post was a factory load that achieved it and more. The third post was about him calling him a moron and a liar, again I posted proof that it could be done. If you don't care about fps then don't read or comment on it.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #34

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The 270 was a wildcat cartridge in its inception. It is a 30/06 brass necked down to 27 caliber. Antelope/varmint hunters and some target shooters were quick to embrace the 270's flat trajectory and ability to deliver a punch at long distances without a "rainbow trajectory." If I lived in an open or mountainous country my safe would be filled with 270's instead of 30/06's.

The 308 has always been the little brother of the 30/06. If the military had not embraced the 308 for the M60 machine gun it would have faded into oblivion by now. Still for the average hunter the 30/06 is far more versatile than the 308. 30/06 ammo is widely manufactured to give shooters many choices from 150gr boattail rounds to 230 gr round nose bullets for thick brush and large dangerous game.

I don't see a need for a 308 to fill the void between a 270 and a 300 mag. I could see the need for a 30/06. Not because it is superior in any way. But you will find 30/06 ammo anywhere from hardware stores to the well stocked super stores. The 30/06 might be a better choice for a multi state trip of a lifetime. On such an adventure it is possible the hunter might leave his ammo behind or run into a boneheaded airline clerk that won't allow the hunter to board a plane with his ammo.

All in all I would be quite happy with the 270/300mag combo the OP currently owns. The 22 can be used for practice. The 22 is far cheaper than the 308 for practice. Long distance shots can be emulated in a confined space. I really don't see how the 308 fits into the picture.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #35

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I was comparing winchester of the same offering on the winchester ballistics calculator like 308 superX vs 270 superX both 150 gr,308 muzzle velocity was 2,820 and 270 was 2,850,but after 100 yards that 270 dropped in velocity more and was slower after that than the 308.I seen some Hornady superformance 308 150@3,000 fps stuff at the store but i'm not tempted,I want my hunting ammo to be the same weight and velocity as my cheap rem core lokt ammo I sighted my gun in with,not that the rem is not good,I just want something special like an HP or ballistic tip-not special like so hot i'm coming out of the woods with a miss and a bleeding forehead.
Factory ammo ballistics can vary greatly. I really think they take a box, give it to a monkey w/ a rifle and take an average. As far as why there is so little spread between there .308 and .270 is the pressure that the longer bullet generates because it has to be seated deeper in the cartridge. .270's shine w/ 130gr., 20 grain is quite a jump. There are very few rifles in .270 that are made to digest a steady diet of 150gr to 160gr. I tried the Hornady .308 Light Magnums years ago. No advantage as far as I could see. Added about 100fps. Still have a 10+ year old box.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #36

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
Not the same bullet but heres a formula for you 130 grain barnes triple shock 52.2 grains of hybrid 100v starting load velocity is 2994, max load 55.5 grains velocity 3144. I was calling him a moron for not admiring it could even be done, I would not advocate a new reloader try something dangerous.
Heres a news flash for you. That Hornady super performance use a double base powder. Not a single that most of us buy Einstein. You can't buy into what he is selling, not a rational thinking human. Axxe and I agree here. We have dissagreed in other threads. But I do respect his opinion because he has knowledge and there is always a grey area. Now someone claiming they came do something and actually being able two are two seperate issues. One is bravado, BS. The other in this case is pure speculation without any info to back it up. Are you going to buy a 1982 Chevette because the owner claims it will hit 150mph, when because there is data to back it up. If I push it out of the back of a plane at 10000 feet, it should hit 150mph. So if I claim that I can do something and don't back it up w/ actual data I'd be a Moron. To believe some internet mall ninja that does the same is pretty stupid. Think what you want of me, I really don't care. What you proved in using a 130gr is that by changing the rules you change the results. As far as calling me a liar, you just made this an issue between us.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Started shooing my new .270 Win and while the Remington 700 action does not feel as smooth and refined as my Tikka T3 Lite, the 130 grain loads were easy to shoot and I was able to get pretty accurate by the time the thing warmed up.

.270 seems like a decent setup. Glad I got it.