H&R Handi-Rifle in 45-70
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > H&R Handi-Rifle in 45-70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default H&R Handi-Rifle in 45-70

My state (Ms) recently allowed the use of certain single shot cartridge rifles for muzzle loading deer seasons. They have set the calibers as 45-70, 44 Mag., etc. I bought an
H&R in 45-70 and used it last season. What a power-house! I shot three deer and all went down within 10 yds.
Exit holes were 2 inches in diameter. Ranges were 60, 90 and 120 yards. On my farm the farthest I can shoot is 200 yards. I sight in for 150 yards and can hold a 3-inch group at 200. I'm thinking of selling my bolt guns and using the
SS exclusively. Just my 2-cents worth.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #2

I only used my Handi 45/70 last year and got my limit with it.It is just as accurate as any of my bolt action rifles.Ive got it sighted in at 200 yds with a Nikon 3-9x40 pro staff.I didnt have a deer go over twenty yards after being hit.I dont plan on using anything else this year.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #3

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The problem with these guns is they are poorly stocked, way too light, and recoil violently in heavy calibers. Yes, they are cheap, which is why most people buy them to begin with. That said after a few shots with these guns in magnum calibers, most shooters pick up bad flinches which damages their shooting far more than the lousy couple of hundred bucks they managed to save on the rifle instead of buying something more suitable. Bill T.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #4

They definitely aren't meant to be "shoot 'em all day" varmint guns; that being said, I've never thought of light weight as a liability for a field rifle. The stocks aren't normally attractive, but I don't think they're any worse than the hideous looking TC Contender and Encore carbines. I've never felt recoil when shooting at game... I do agree the bench is not the place to shoot 'em from. What is needed is a standing bench like the Brits use for serious rifles, or a lesser caliber.