Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   H&R Handi-rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/h-r-handi-rifle-31702/)

FirstBubba 09-13-2010 06:03 PM

H&R Handi-rifle

Please help!
I'm at my wits end!
I have an H&R Handi-rifle in .270 Win. It has a Leupold 2x7 VXI with appropriate rings and base.
Base proper fit and tight.
Rings properly attached to base.
Rings properly attached to scope and scope is tightly attached to base.
It won't shoot!
I'm also a handloader. I've tried every bullet I have from 90gr to 150gr.
It will almost cloverleaf two rounds. Third round it slings from 8 to 18 inches from the others. It may be first, second OR third round it blows.
I have even had the barrel recrowned!
Anybody got any suggestions!!??

Bubba

safedman 09-14-2010 12:21 AM

Copper fouling??

How many rounds have you fired through the rifle? Copper fouling in fast shooters is a problem in the last 6 to 7 inches of barrel. It fills the rifling and de-stabilizes the round at the end of the gun. Re-crown will not help this. Seen alot of individuals that have changed their scope only to have flyers like you have mentioned. Cleaned their rifle of copper and it is good to go.
I had a Remington Mod. 700 in 270 and after 20 rounds it would shoot 2 or 3 in a group then fling one high, low, left, right...never knew where t was going to go. I purchased an electronic bore cleaner, cleaned the copper and it is a tac driver again. Look in the end of the rifle for copper and try getting it removed.

FirstBubba 09-14-2010 11:41 AM

Rifle probably has seen no more than 100 rounds max from NIB! All handloads!
Rifle walks rounds down. First shot hits high, next shot lower, third shot even lower or patterns second shot!
I have time, so I'm going to try ONE single round, allow rifle to cool back to ambient temp, then see if next COLD round will pattern!
If this is true, there may be a barrel flaw that is exacerbated by heat.

Mongo 09-14-2010 02:32 PM

Read You Manual

Does it say anything about shooting 100 rounds or so to breakin the barrel?

cpttango30 09-14-2010 03:38 PM

No amount of "Break in" is going to fix this problem.

Sounds like you got a bum rifle. I would see about sending it back to the factory and see what they get out of it.

2" max at 100 yards for 5 shots I would think. They aren't the best rifle out there but they should shoot good enough.

safedman 09-14-2010 09:16 PM

Try a $5 bottle

Take a look for copper, buy a $5 bottle of copper cleaner and use it as directed until you get zero green out of it. Shoot 3 rounds to foul the barrel then see what it does.
I am telling you, copper will make you think you have a junk gun or rifle. If you have never seen it you would not believe it. I am speaking from expierence. All it took my Rem 700 was 20 rounds and it would put out flyers with no method to the madness. What have you got to loose but $5 and a little time. It may save some $$$$$$

FirstBubba 09-15-2010 12:27 PM

Finally got the okay from Minister of Finance. Will take it to gunsmith and have him check it over real good. Last attempt at a group leads me to think that maybe the rings (which aren't top quality) may not be up to snuff!
It's a Weaver style base, but the rings are put out by BSA or something like that!

Bubba