H&R Buffalo Classic or Uberti 1874 Sharps?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > H&R Buffalo Classic or Uberti 1874 Sharps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default H&R Buffalo Classic or Uberti 1874 Sharps?

Hello all,
I am stuck in a decision. I am trying to choose between the H&R BC or a Uberti 1874 Sharps. It is the Standard Sharps, the link to the picture is below followed buy the website:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/image...s_standard.jpg

Uberti 1874 Sharps Rifle

I will be using the gun for whitetail hunting. I can get the the BC for $380 or the Uberti for $900. I have been wanting a .45-70 for a few years now and i currently have the budget for a new gun. My intention for quite a while was to buy the BC but when I saw the Sharps at a local gun store two weeks ago I have been back and fourth since. I had been scoping out the sharps replicas in the last 6 months or so but figured that would be a purchase for later in life (basing that thought on a $1500+ price tag). I have much admiration and a love for western style guns. I have a feeling hunting with a single shot gun may be my primary hunting method in the near future. My only problem (and it is purely personal) with the Uberti is the barrel. I always imagined buying a sharps replica with a 28"- 32" octagonal barrel and this model at the store is a 30" round barrel (right length wrong shape). I am definitely buying a .45-70 in the next week or so. I have shot a friend's handi rifle and recoil is not an issue for me. I've read many great things about the BC and it's a lot cheaper. Should I just take the cheaper route and get the BC or get the dream gun? Both are within budget. What do you guys think i should do? Are there any pros and cons to round or octagonal barrels? Or is it just cosmetic? Any info and/or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you have the money get your dream gun. I've been wanting a high quality 1874 for YEARS. If you don't you'll eventually get the 1874 later anyway. I finally found a 1874 in a price range that I can afford and I'm going to grab it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I would go for the Sharps myself,,, had one a few years ago that I had to sell during a rough patch. Regret it big time, best shooting offhand rifle I ever owned. If I am able in a couple of years, I will look for a Shiloh or order one and wait a couple of years on it to be built. Have fun with whatever you pick up,, my No. 3 Ruger in 45/70 does very well, just a shade light, but an excellent piece.

Good shootin'
Jeff

Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you can afford the gun you want, buy it. Having a similar second best will make it a lot tougher to shell out the $ for the one you want later.