Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Guns you would never own.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Guns you would never own.

I know we all know of at least one gun we would never own for any reason. What are they and why would you never own them?

Also, would you avoid a perfectly good gun because of who owned it, or it's history?

There are only a few gun I would avoid. The first one is the Hi-Point handgun. They are just plain fugly, and I have heard way too many bad things about them to actually want to own them. (I would possibly rent one just to test it, but unless I really like it for some reason, I don't plan on getting one.)

As for a gun I avoid because of it's history, that would be anything Nazi. Nazi stuff just creeps me out, and you never know who had that gun, and how it was used. (was it just a rarely touched sidearm/longarm, was it used to kill our soldiers, or was it used to execute holocost victims?)
I see their stuff on Gunbroker all the time (half the time, it is sitting on a nazi flag like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273422039), I have more of a problem with their pistols then their rifles, so I would be tempted to get a M98K.
I also have a problem with Japanese guns from the same period, but I would still buy them.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-13-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I see trouble in the future.

Everybody........play nice!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I know we all know of at least one gun we would never own for any reason. What are they and why would you never own them?

Also, would you avoid a perfectly good gun because of who owned it, or it's history?

There are only a few gun I would avoid. The first one is the Hi-Point handgun. They are just plain fugly, and I have heard way too many bad things about them to actually want to try them. (I would possibly rent one just to test it, but unless I really like it for some reason, I don't plan on getting one.)

As for a gun I avoid because of it's history, that would be anything Nazi. Nazi stuff just creeps me out, and you never know who had that gun, and how it was used. (was it just a rarely touched sidearm/longarm, was it used to kill our soldiers, or was it used to execute holocost victims?)
I see their stuff on Gunbroker all the time (half the time, it is sitting on a nazi flag like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273422039), I have more of a problem with their pistols then their rifles, so I would be tempted to get a M98K.
I also have a problem with Japanese guns from the same period, but I would still buy them.
I'm with you on not owning a Hi-Point Aaron as I have enough drills for awhile. As far as owning anything of historical significance I don't think I would turn anything down. Yes you don't know who was on the wrong end of the gun but I don't see me thinking much about it. It's no different than a civil war era firearm that more than likely killed a fellow American.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One gun I would not own is a Remington 740 , 7400 series. they are good for maby 1000 rounds and then you start to have problems with the bolt rails. Basicaly turning them into a bolt gun.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I see trouble in the future.

Everybody........play nice!
Yes, everyone PLAY NICE. Keep it civil!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I'm with you on not owning a Hi-Point Aaron as I have enough drills for awhile. As far as owning anything of historical significance I don't think I would turn anything down. Yes you don't know who was on the wrong end of the gun but I don't see me thinking much about it. It's no different than a civil war era firearm that more than likely killed a fellow American.
Yeah, I can't really explain it, but Nazi guns just creep me out. I have no problem with ww1 German guns, or really any other historical guns. Just Nazi guns.
That, and if you ever had to defend yourself, it would be bad enough if the media found out you have a lot of guns, let alone one with the swastika on it (unless it was a Russian capture). They would have a field day with you.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

DPMS, Oly: cheaply built, overpriced.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Hi point pistols mey be UGLY but they are Tougher than nails.

Oly is the only manufacture that offers a 22-250 and a 30 Oly. To me from what I have seen and shot the Oly and DPMS is just as good as any other AR on the market.

Lorcin is one gun I wouldn't own. That's about it.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

First of all, I have no problem w/ anyone having or owning any gun of their choice. That is their right and I will defend that right. There is nothing wrong w/ the guns I would never own, they are just not my cup of tea. I would never criticize a person or the gun just because I don't find it interesting. As long as they use it safely, I have no problem. That being said, I would never own the following: any kind of muzzle loader, any kind of handgun, any lever action except the M99 Savage or the M88 Winchester, a Mossberg M500 pump shotgun (I've had too many ejection problems w/ them), any fully auto or semi auto rifle or shotgun except a .22LR semi auto, any military rifle except a M98 Mauser or 1903 Springfield. I guess that narrows down my field, but I don't have the time, funds, or room to have guns in all of the genres, but those listed are the ones I would never have for sure.
cottontop

Last edited by cottontop; 02-13-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addition

Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #10

Liked 2196 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 2133

Glock or any other plastic gun. They are all ugly and they feel funny, out of balance.