Guns guns guns.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Guns guns guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Guns guns guns.

Hey guys. I joined for a rather specific reason, my dad recently passed away and left behind a rather sizable gun collection for my ma' to deal with. She's got some licensed dealer on the case and I'm a little worried.

I was wondering if there was somewhere here I could post up some pictures and get some more opinions on value and whether or not I should hold on to said firearm(s) or not.

I checked around the web, looking at running auctions and whatnot, and have been able to gather a little info, but some of these are old and I can't find much...if anything. Maybe you folks can help--or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default That's a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphmation View Post
Hey guys. I joined for a rather specific reason, my dad recently passed away and left behind a rather sizable gun collection for my ma' to deal with. She's got some licensed dealer on the case and I'm a little worried.

I was wondering if there was somewhere here I could post up some pictures and get some more opinions on value and whether or not I should hold on to said firearm(s) or not.

I checked around the web, looking at running auctions and whatnot, and have been able to gather a little info, but some of these are old and I can't find much...if anything. Maybe you folks can help--or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
This is why my wife does not know the combo to my gun safe. I keep in a safe deposit box that my son inherits, along with the safe and everything in it.
If you can't find values at gunbroker.com because you can't find any for sale then the collection could be old and rare...both good things. You can pick up a copy of the Gun Blue Book at any online bookstore, it's updated every year and very complete. This will give you value ranges based on date, make, model, date of manufacture, "e-mail the manufacturer with the serial number for this", and condition. The book runs about $35.00 but if your dealing with a large collection, it's well worth it.
Also, posting pic's and descriptions would be a treat for everyone. This is like a sailor finding a chest half buried in the sand! What's in it!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with Tackleberry1 on the pics of what's in the safe or at least describe them. After all you might get some good hits for pricing info and what you need to hang on to. Plus you might also aquire some buyers in here

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

First, let me say that I am sorry for your loss.

The dealer may very well be a stand up guy. However, the idea is to protect your Father's investment for your Mother. The Blue Book is an excellent idea as well as posting pictures here for second opinions. There's some extremely knowledgeable people here.

If you have questions, post them and the good folks here will try and help.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you have no use for the guns and just want to get the money out of them I would recomand an auction. Check around your local area and find an auctioner that sell alot of guns at action and let him set it up. I`ve watched a lot of guns sell at auction and saw very few go to cheap.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 03-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've got some pics of just about all of em' individually--I'll start posting some of the older/nicer ones when I get some free time...what section of the forum should I put them in?

and I do have a bit of use for them, I do some shooting at least every week in the summer. I put my name (so to speak) on a few of them immediately.

I'll be getting back to you guys later, thanks again.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #7

Alright I didn't know where to put this so I figured I'd throw em' in here and you guys would move it if it's not in the right spot. Here comes the eye candy(?) Sorry, I'll read up on posting pics Not sure if I did it right....

s4300130.jpg   s4300128.jpg   s4300145.jpg   s4300157.jpg   s4300161.jpg  

Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #8

not much info in the pics, they were taken a couple years ago for insurance or something....I can take more detailed ones or describe conditions at some point. For the most part they're pretty well taken care of, lol I remember having to oil them UUGH! lol.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use to have one of those savages. Yours is in much better condition than mine was. great pics! Are those for sale or just gettin an idea for a price? I sold my savage for $200.00 and it had some bad pitting on the barrel. Your clip has the patent 1906 right?

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioActiV View Post
I use to have one of those savages. Yours is in much better condition than mine was. great pics! Are those for sale or just gettin an idea for a price? I sold my savage for $200.00 and it had some bad pitting on the barrel. Your clip has the patent 1906 right?
That was the only place that I remember seeing any markings on mine for a date. It's on the side that faces the trigger guard.