Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > guns in the cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Default guns in the cold?

Ok so I picked up a gun safe this summer, but had no place to put it inside my house. So we put it in the garage. My question is will the cold of winter affect my rifles and pistols? I have firearms from old ww2 weapons to new polymer pistols. Thanks for your help.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Install a golden rod (heater) and a container of desiccant, and I believe you'll be fine. As long as the inside of the safe stays a couple of degrees warmer than the outside of the safe, it should keep the moisture at bay. The desiccant is just cheap insurance.
JMHO.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8305 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Your enemy is not cold but moisture. Do what he said up there. I may hold the record among our happy band of brothers (and sisters) for cold weather shooting- at -62 degrees (interior of Alaska) We would have to degrease our firearms, since oil gets stiff at those temps (grease is a solid) BUT- relative humidity was ZERO- all the moisture in the air is laying on the ground!

Keep your safe off the floor by a fraction of an inch, use the Goldenrod and/or dessicant packs, give them a light coat of protectant of your choice.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #4

Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Keep your safe off the floor by a fraction of an inch, use the Goldenrod and/or dessicant packs, give them a light coat of protectant of your choice.
As usual, c3shooter does a much better job of giving the details than I do.

Keeping the safe off the floor is another good point. Mine sits in my rather "moist" basement on a pressure treated 2x4 base that I put together. That keeps it off of the damp concrete floor and has the added benefit of making it a bit easier to get things in and out (of the safe...) without having to bend over so much.

The more "gut" you have, the more beneficial it is...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the advise, as alwyas you gus know your stuff! I have a big box of the silica pelets in there now, but could you explain the golden rod? Also you got me beat with cold weather shooting, my record for shooting outside is -45 while in minot ND

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8305 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

GoldenRod Dehumidifiers - Introduction - Oxnard, California USA

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks! I guess I will pick one up!

--George Washington

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been north of Minot (Bottineau) in the winter and know how cold it gets. If it were me, I'd find a place indoors.

Is your safe presently secured to the floor? I always worry about theft, and if they can take the whole safe and open it at their leisure, your safe isn't doing you much good.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is your safe presently secured to the floor? I always worry about theft, and if they can take the whole safe and open it at their leisure, your safe isn't doing you much good.[/QUOTE]

Remington makes a very nice desiccant holder that you can plug in the wall to dry out. It has a window to verify the color for moisture saturation.

There are many aspects to properly securing a safe in a secure location. I thought we were just talking environment here...

Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the input guys. As far as the safe, yes it is secure and isint going any where, unless you hook it up to a mack truck lol! I live in ohio now so it dosent get nearly as cold here, but sometimes it does get a bit chilly like +10.

--George Washington