Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gun Show Disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Default Gun Show Disappointment

I hit an area gun show yesterday with cash in my pocket and feeling like a kid on Christmas morning. I left toy-less and disappointed. I wanted to get a Springfield M1A but I was also keeping an eye out for a nice wood stock bolt action Steyr, Anschutz, or old FN along with a few odds and ends like a scope mount for an FN49. I found almost nothing. There were only 2 M1A's at the entire show. I couldn't find a single Anschultz in anything other than .22LR and only one Steyr (synthetic stock). This was a decent size show with a lot of guns, but almost no selection. I was very surprised at the number of M1 Grands but that's about it.

I know gun shows are hit and miss, but I've never been to a gun show with only 2 M1A's at the entire show and 5 M1 Grands on every other table. That got me to wondering about a few things:

Were there so few M1A's because of the lack of supply or the lack of demand?

I'm guessing all the M1 Grands resulted from an increase in supply from CMP sales and such, but what will that do to their price? I'm guessing the Grand is going to become popular now because so many are available at a decent price (compared to other semi auto battle rifles) and it's a great gun.

Where were the rare gems in the pile of homeless guns? I realize that rare guns are hard to find simply because they are rare, but it seems like I'm seeing fewer and fewer really nice guns especially older ones? Such guns always carried a high price but you could find them. Are those guns just ending up in collections with fewer and fewer in circulation?

I'm just thinking out loud here about a lot of different things and where the gun market is heading. Gun shows in general are starting to feel more and more like a trip to Walmart; same cookie cutter guns but most are used. I'm also seeing less and less quality and craftsmanship in guns, but there still seems to be a strong demand for quality and craftsmanship because you can't hardly find many of the older quality guns?

I know I rambled on about a lot of different things, but there just seems to be a change going on in the gun market right now and I can't quite put my finger on what it is? Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

You need to come to AZ... I was at a gun show last weekend and it was the exact opposite there was 2 M1 Garands at the whole show and about 10 M1A (mostly the socom model) for as low as $1,100, there was even a NM M14 (it was $1,700) Mausers could be had for anywhere from $150-$300

As for rare guns.. there were quite a bit but they were expensive... There was even a Russian Tigr, but the barrel was shortened and they still wanted $2,500!
Quite a few old Winchesters but their prices are crazy! Mine was the cheapest at $1,600 and others were priced up to $4,000!!

The new cookie cutter guns? Face it thats what most the youngins want...

Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Just out of curiosity, how is your area doing economically? My area is not doing well at all and maybe the guns are just following the money? If your area is doing ok, that would help explain the number of less expensive Grands here rather than M1A's and the number of M1A's in your area rather than Grands?

Just a thought?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Just out of curiosity, how is your area doing economically? My area is not doing well at all and maybe the guns are just following the money? If your area is doing ok, that would help explain the number of less expensive Grands here rather than M1A's and the number of M1A's in your area rather than Grands?

Just a thought?
Its real crappy... Thats why I think the M1A's were so cheap.. I never see them under $1,500. People were really wheelin and dealing, A buddy of mine picked up a few guns for next to nothing..

Ive been hunting for a Garand and was really disapointed a the M1 selection...

Last edited by Trez; 10-23-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Its real crappy... Thats why I think the M1A's were so cheap.. I never see them under $1,500. People were really wheelin and dealing, A buddy of mine picked up a few guns for next to nothing..

Ive been hunting for a Garand and was really disapointed a the M1 selection...
Where was the show? Fairgrounds or TCC?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

One was at the fairgrounds, the other was the expo center on Irvington. The latter had a little more stuff.....

Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
One was at the fairgrounds, the other was the expo center on Irvington. The latter had a little more stuff.....
I hate to say it....I haven't been to a show in the last five years, other than the SAR Show in Phoenix that didn't disappoint me.

I am sick to death of all the douchetards in their nazi gear rolling around, and the people selling jelly and all the other junk that isn't remotely gun related.

I have been hitting a lot of estate sales with guns over the last couple of years and made some great scores. Some of the shows in northern AZ are showing some promise. I went to a show in Prescott that was fantastic! I picked up an HK P9S for $475 and a Garand for $500.

I used to really enjoy the show at the fairgrounds until one of those wannabe Arizona Rangers tried to tell me I couldn't enter with a loaded firearm (even after I showed him my badge and ID) but he got educated real quick. Then the old fart at the table checking the unloaded boxes of the "sellin' and tradin'" stock I was bringing in flagged me three or four times with the muzzle.

The TCC show was typically of lesser gun quality, but since PD handled security...the asshattery was kept to a minimum as far as enforcement goes.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I hate to say it....I haven't been to a show in the last five years, other than the SAR Show in Phoenix that didn't disappoint me.

I am sick to death of all the douchetards in their nazi gear rolling around, and the people selling jelly and all the other junk that isn't remotely gun related.

I have been hitting a lot of estate sales with guns over the last couple of years and made some great scores. Some of the shows in northern AZ are showing some promise. I went to a show in Prescott that was fantastic! I picked up an HK P9S for $475 and a Garand for $500.

I used to really enjoy the show at the fairgrounds until one of those wannabe Arizona Rangers tried to tell me I couldn't enter with a loaded firearm (even after I showed him my badge and ID) but he got educated real quick. Then the old fart at the table checking the unloaded boxes of the "sellin' and tradin'" stock I was bringing in flagged me three or four times with the muzzle.

The TCC show was typically of lesser gun quality, but since PD handled security...the asshattery was kept to a minimum as far as enforcement goes.
A buddy of mine went to the one at the TCC and said it was all cowboy and Nazi stuff, not even many guns to go with the western and nazi stuff.. Never understood why you would sell that stuff at a gun show and not have the guns to go with it..

I didnt see any "azzhattery" every one seem to be behaving... I had my 1895 with me and didnt get messed with.. One old guy I met even let me put it on his selling table.. I would watch his table if he had to go the the restroom, etc. I helped him pack up afterwards and he gave this weird Weaver quik-point sight.. I didnt sell my '95 but had a good time anyways...

Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
A buddy of mine went to the one at the TCC and said it was all cowboy and Nazi stuff, not even many guns to go with the western and nazi stuff.. Never understood why you would sell that stuff at a gun show and not have the guns to go with it..

I didnt see any "azzhattery" every one seem to be behaving... I had my 1895 with me and didnt get messed with.. One old guy I met even let me put it on his selling table.. I would watch his table if he had to go the the restroom, etc. I helped him pack up afterwards and he gave this weird Weaver quik-point sight.. I didnt sell my '95 but had a good time anyways...
That's good to hear. HOPEFULLY things are changing for the better. I mean of course, there are some good folks at the shows...it just seemed the trend was going the other way for a while.

Some of us up here were talking about putting together a show for gun guys...step outside the SAR and Crossroads box and do it the old fashioned way.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hate to be *that guy* but let's get it straight:

GRANDS...as in "these biscuits are grand!"

GARANDS...as in John Cantius Garand, the inventor.

Be Well.