Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > gun related iPhone apps..??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

All the apps are saved in the cloud and on the laptops. But they get jumbled up when I do a reset and I have to go in and sort them out. Last time I just djdnt feel like messing with it so I'm just using cloud to download them as I need them.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 2032 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
All the apps are saved in the cloud and on the laptops. But they get jumbled up when I do a reset and I have to go in and sort them out. Last time I just djdnt feel like messing with it so I'm just using cloud to download them as I need them.
Cool. Totally understand, esp. Since I maintain our 8 computers and devices, plus my clients' various apple products...I have about a dozen folks here plus a few from back east I'm still doing by phone and FaceTime chat...including a 77 y.o. Retired ad exec. Who also taught part time. For 10 years as her consultant I begged her to get a digital camera instead of film and scanning prints....guess what she got the last time we had an in person session in December of 11? A Digital Camera...so for the last almost two years I have been teaching her iPhoto & Adobe Photoshop elements. She's finally for an iPhone...

I like to tell folks not to load down their iOs back ups with 100's or thousands of applications....and that for every app that 4.99 or more you can find one that does the same stuff for 2.99 or less...but back on topic....another great shooting related App shows me the carry laws for all 50 states... Called "CCW laws"....
There is also one that will show you all the Gun shops and pawn shops that also have an FFL.....I think that one was .99...and the excellent my Gun DB,...which I also have and use on my Mac..
I'm also experimenting with a Home design app to design a shooting range...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

CCW Laws was one of them. I used it a lot in the summertime when I was helping chaperone teens on road trips across the country.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

One of my favorite apps, which I actually use a fair amount, is called "CCW"

If you type in "CCW" it'll be the first one. Here's a link to it, actually - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ccw-concealed-carry-50-state/id443321291?mt=8

It gives a breakdown of all the gun laws for each state, including reciprocity and whatnot. Really there's a lot of great information in there, and its extremely easy to use. It only costs 99 cents. Best dollar I ever spent.

Another one (this one is free) is called "GolfGPS" It shows distance from where you are to where to select on the GPS. Might be nice for those of you worried about the end of the world and are trying to figure out how far it is from your backdoor to that tree. Here's a video about it. http://youtu.be/3IlBgBAGy0c (I use those apps on the iPad)

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 10-21-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I use GPS Kit. It's a $10 app and it lets you save satellite maps to the hard drive of your phone, calculate the distance between any two points, save breadcrumb trails and waypoints and broadcast your location on preset channels to other users of the app.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #16

Quote:
I use GPS Kit. It's a $10 app and it lets you save satellite maps to the hard drive of your phone, calculate the distance between any two points, save breadcrumb trails and waypoints and broadcast your location on preset channels to other users of the app.
Garmin Base camp!! We have two Garmin GPS's. Base camp does exactly the same thing. In the escape we have "My Ford" set up but I never use the built in GPS. I take the "portable survival GPS" on the UATV....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Garmin Base camp!! We have two Garmin GPS's. Base camp does exactly the same thing. In the escape we have "My Ford" set up but I never use the built in GPS. I take the "portable survival GPS" on the UATV....
I bought a Garmin turn by turn app back when I had the 3G because I loved my Garmin GPSs that I used in my jeep and occasionally my unit. In fact dad had one of the first affordable handheld garmins that we always took camping when I was a kid. That was back when they were only accurate by like 200 meters on a good day.

The app was horrible! It wouldn't load the servers half the time, and it kept freezing in the middle of trips when it did.

Have they fixed their issues? I'm a big Garmin fan and I was really disappointed.

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #18

Quote:

I bought a Garmin turn by turn app back when I had the 3G because I loved my Garmin GPSs that I used in my jeep and occasionally my unit. In fact dad had one of the first affordable handheld garmins that we always took camping when I was a kid. That was back when they were only accurate by like 200 meters on a good day.

The app was horrible! It wouldn't load the servers half the time, and it kept freezing in the middle of trips when it did.

Have they fixed their issues? I'm a big Garmin fan and I was really disappointed.
Not "Turn by turn"!! It's called Garmin Base Camp!! Much improved, but does depend on a solid Internet connection.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #19

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm a podcast freak!! Generally they are free and you can download via the Apple Podcast app or other 3rd party apps! I prefer Downcast!! You can download a host of different podcast on a variety of subjects!! My favorite firearm podcast are "Gun World" and "The Gun show" very good, accurate info on many different topics pertaining to firearms! Good for folks always on the go but likes to be informed of new info!!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
I'm a podcast freak!! Generally they are free and you can download via the Apple Podcast app or other 3rd party apps! I prefer Downcast!! You can download a host of different podcast on a variety of subjects!! My favorite firearm podcast are "Gun World" and "The Gun show" very good, accurate info on many different topics pertaining to firearms! Good for folks always on the go but likes to be informed of new info!!
That's funny you mentioned that, because I have not said anything as of yet,..but now is as good a time as any to "break" the story: We will soon have a Podcast here. Yes, our very own FTF podcast. In fact,..I can tell you that 2 episodes are already "in the Can",....we're just waiting for the back end coding to be completed,..and we will be recording again this week as well.
The Hosts are myself and Vikingdad, and we hope to be joined by TekGreg, and plan on guests( already in development) as well. I'll be starting a podcast thread shortly, and we'll also take topic suggestions, e-mails and such. Hope you'll be one of our listeners...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Last edited by DrFootball; 10-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This