Gun for a New-ish person
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gun for a New-ish person

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gun for a New-ish person

Hello, I am looking into buying a good target/varmint rifle (coyotes). I am kind of new to guns. I am familiar with my dads 10-22 and his Remington 870, I have been hunting a couple of times with them. I am looking for a caliber that is reasonably cheap. I will not be reloading. 223 rem seems to be a good bet but I was wondering if there was a better option for me. I also need help on what rifle to choose. Should I go cheap (savage axis, stevens 200)? or should I put a little money out (howa 1500, Mossberg mvp).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/german-stamped-cz-550-synthetic-308-a-93099/

Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

If you want a brand new rifle, I would suggest that you get a .243 in the Marlin XS7. They are very nice looking, light weight, and very strong. I know a guy who accidentally chambered a .300 Savage round in a .25-06 Marlin XL7 (the longer action version) and fired it. Other than the extractor and ejector on the bolt, nothing was damaged. A gunsmith checked everything out and nothing else was damaged.

Why the .243 cartridge? It is perhaps one of the most all round cartridges ever invented for North American hunting. Anything from small varmints to mule deer and black bear can easily be taken with it. Also, consider very good accuracy and very low recoil.

If buying used, you have lots of options even in older calibers such as the 6mm Remington, 250-3000 Savage, .25-06, and .257 Roberts.
ct

People Like This 
Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. I was considering the 243 earlier on because it is more versatile for hunting.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

For a first rifle I cant think of anything better than a .243 as mentioned above. The recoil is minimal, they are affordable to shoot and the .243 is a good caliber for anything deer sized and down. I would reccomend looking for a good quality used rifle. The last rifle i purchased was a .243 Remington 700 ADL (Late sixties model) for $250 and it shoots like a dream. I also like the Savage mdl 110. If you shop around you will find a much better quality gun than you will normally see new.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

While ammo supplies are starting to catch up, 223 was a little hard to find for a while. I regularly saw 243 ammo available. The 243 seems to be inherently accurate and an excellent cartridge. It is chambered by a lot of different mfgs and is widely available used. It is not a barrel burner so you will get a long useful life from a rifle chambered in it. Cottontop gave you some good advice when he recommended the 243.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

cottontop Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I agree with everyone here, .243 is by far one of my favourite rifles in my collection! I've been shooting for a while now, and i have bigger, nicer, rifles that than but I honestly take my .243 hunting probably about 3/4 of the time if not more. Great gun, low recoil and ammo is very easy to find, hell even walmart carries the ammo. As cotton and nchunt said, its great for targets and varmint as well as full sized buck and i'd say one of the best choices for moving targets since the round shoots very, VERY, fast.

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

cottontop Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Could anyone name a rifle that would be good to begin with? Guns to stay away from? Lets say my price range is 500$

Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tev225 View Post
Could anyone name a rifle that would be good to begin with? Guns to stay away from? Lets say my price range is 500$
the Marlin X7 series are great rifles. well built, very accurate and decently priced. the Savage Axis series is also a good choice. well made and decently accurate and decently priced. the Mossberg ATR100 another good option. well made, accurate and decently priced. the Weatherby Vanguard II is a good option andis also the same rifle as the Howa 1500. well made and accurate. the Ruger American is pretty new to the market, but is decently priced and is getting good reviews from those who have bought them.

one i would most definately say to avoid is the Remington M770. poorly made, most are not very accurate, but they are cheap.

also hit the gun stores and pawn shops. i have bought many used rifles for a very decent price by shopping used.
People Like This