gun manufacturer offerings - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > gun manufacturer offerings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
How much do you know about guns? This isn't a trick question or meant as grief. To make a barrel from stock metal is a process of ifs own, precision drilling and rifling. What kind of rifling do you plan to do. What type of finishes are you looking at. Also how big an operation do you have planned? Are you doing all work or farming some jobs out? Just points to ponder.
Well, I've owned and shot for most of my life. I know all about the process of barrel making, and plan to use a sine bar rifler. Old fashioned rust blue might cost extra, so I think an opinion of leaving the gun in the white might be available.

As for the size, just like any other business it starts small. Maybe I'll offer 2 guns at the start, save up my capital and then grow. Seems about the right way to go about it. I think the 1903 clone in 30-06, 308, 30-30 (yep, the lever one), and a small handful of others, would be good enough as a starter.

Maybe in five years from the start I'll be offer all of them with quite a few members of the cooperative. That would be sure nice.

I don't like the idea of farming anything out. Even if I did, machinists are getting few and far between.

Now the lawyer, that might be a problem. Oh Lawd I don't know nothing bout settlin' no law suites!

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #32

Liked 2491 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats a myth. the big three had nothing to do with his failure. he was committing stock fraud and scamming buyers by selling things with no real hope of production.
AW, you just hate me because I'm beautiful.

Sorry, mattyblock, I'm seeing used guns selling at a

high percentage of NIB value around here.

But I am told that gun prices around here are a little nutz.

I'd start slowly, go a step at a time. Your first post seemed

a little overwhelming, conceptually.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #33

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

JonM; possibly you missed my sarcasm....LOL

OP; I think you are still missing some steps/processes that you can't avoid, or do yourself. Paperwork, hardening, plating/coating, automated machine to turn out stocks, dealing w/ feds, OSHA, EPA, BATF, and god knows who else, and all of whom will have their own expensive demands, don't kid yourself, and you can really rifle a barrel? There are specific machines and companies that only do this one thing, probably for good reason.

If you try all this yourself, the gun would cost thousands of dollars, or you'd make $0 an hour.

Don't forget, to get the cost of processes that you can't do yourself down, you need to send in HUGE lots, and probably find someone close to avoid shipping costs......

Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Colt wanted to produce versions of the Medusa called the Survivor and the Vendetta; Phillips spent a lot of money retooling to build the guns and Colt then backed out of the deal and Phillips had no more money to make the Medusa any more... He also made a Muti-caliber bolt action rifle called the Wilderness Explorer... (Wish I could find one of those!!! )
He should have sued Colt for the money they caused him to loose. They basically ruined a really great thing.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #35

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

He should have sued Colt for the money they caused him to loose. They basically ruined a really great thing.
If your broke and can't pay an attorney then you can't sue. Plus do you know how many attorneys Colt has on retainer. They would walk in there and burry you in paper work for 25 years.

As for the op leaving the guns in the white are you crazy? They will be nothing but a rusted worthless mess before they even make it to the dealers.

Also having been to shot and seeing that most FFLs are hardly making 5 to 10% on new guns.

Why would you put a short cartilage like the 308 in a long action?

Last edited by gunnut07; 06-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.