Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   gun manufacturer offerings (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/gun-manufacturer-offerings-66537/)

mattybock 06-16-2012 10:13 PM

gun manufacturer offerings

I have a little question and a goal for the future. You see I plan to start up my own gun manufacturing company, a cooperative, based around a few solid and well know gun designs.
I'm going to post up my idea for a menu of sorts, a selection of guns for sale and the prices that I suspect will be charged for them. Being a cooperative, the profit from each gun is about $100, in addition tot he base cost of the steel and wood.

rifles ; $160 each.
- winchester 1894 clone
- classic lined bolt action rifle based on the 1903 springfield.
- remington rolling block clone
- 22 single shot for kids
- semi-auto rifle based on ruger 10 and the SKS

shotguns; $130 each
- pump action based on mossberg 500
- SXS
- semi-auto

pistols; $130 each
- 1911A1 clone
- Luger P08 replica
- 1873 SAA clone
- Raven P25 clone
- S&W generic clone

black powder; $80 - 120 each
- simple Tennessee rifle
- matchlock musket

other; $650
- 1903 gatling gun clone

What guns do you like of these? What's missing? Any other thoughts?

therewolf 06-17-2012 12:28 AM

Yanno, in the Forties, a guy named Tucker tried to do this with

cars. The Big Three fried him up, melted cheese on him,

and ate him for breakfast...

Hell, why not piss off Beretta and Glock, too?

Offer a knock-off of the 92FS, and the Glock, well,

whatever.

mattybock 06-17-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 838651)

whatever.

well that was in a very tight and non-competitive economy where the big three held a virtual monopoly. In the gun work that simply doesn't exist.

bearrwe 06-17-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattybock

well that was in a very tight and non-competitive economy where the big three held a virtual monopoly. In the gun work that simply doesn't exist.

Are you in the same gun world I've been in for over thirty years? Can you say AMT Lightning, that's just a well known one, there are many law suits, not to mention "safety concerns" suggested by your competition. You have to figure all costs of business, materials, employees and lawsuits.

Axxe55 06-17-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 838651)

whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattybock (Post 838653)

Matty, i think it's a novel idea at best, but i think Wolf is right. and the the big difference is, that Tucker had some very original ideas in the areas of safety when it came to the automobile. you seem to be wanting to what has already been done and what is being done currently. come up with something original and innovative, and it might stand a chance.

primer1 06-17-2012 02:25 PM

You'd be a lot better off customizing firearms as a business.

clr8ter 06-17-2012 02:30 PM

You think you can make those guns for $20-$60, leaving you with a $100 profit? You thought about insurance? Or the $100K + CNC machines you'll need? Or the other things from outside sources, like plating, getting certain parts hardened, boxes to put them in, act? And, don't forget the manufacturer's license......

texaswoodworker 06-17-2012 02:54 PM

Matty, I like your enthusiasm, and I like how you are wanting to get guns out to the public at an easy to afford price, but this would be a lot harder than you think. The machines, insurance, parts, ect. are going to cost a poo load of money. If you do get into doing this, there are a few things you should consider.

1. Unless you want lawsuits thrown at you from every direction, I'd avoid copying name brand name guns, and stick to either military guns, or designing your own (nothing wrong with seeing how other companies' guns are designed though. It would help you know how they function, and maybe give you a few ideas.)
Another idea would be to replicate guns that manufactures are no longer making like the Remington Model 11/Browning Auto 5. I am not sure about the laws on this, so I'd run it by a very good lawyer first.

2. Focus on quality, not quantity. I'd rather pay an extra $100-$200 for a gun that is very well made, and accurate than buy one that is cheap, but either has horrible accuracy, or could blow up in my hands.

3. Get a damn good lawyer.

Good luck.

JTJ 06-17-2012 03:36 PM

You are forgetting insurance. I had a product I wanted to manufacture and insurance killed it. It more than doubled my cost and priced me out of the market.

Axxe55 06-17-2012 03:44 PM

even if you got it going and started selling without very expensive insurance and a good legal team on retainer, the first lawsuit would put you out of business.