Is this gun legal? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is this gun legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatHunters View Post
After a little hard work, here's what it looks like now. I can't decide if I want to sell or keep it. Oh I don't believe it's an actual Riot model, I think my grandfather cut it down, it has the word "FULL" stamped on the barrel. But it was made in 1903 or 1904.
Then someone cut it down but it looks like they did a nice job with a new bead. The 97s with full choke had a 30" barrel. I just happen to have mine sitting next to me at my desk because I took it out to clean it. Lots of folks cut these down to make them more handy for hunting in the brush or as self defense/police guns. A bunch of CAS shooters mutilated a boatload of these fine old guns for their game too. 97s with intact long barrels are getting harder to find. Still a heck of a fun gun and add to that the fact that it belonged to your grandpa, I'd keep it.

Last edited by Wambli; 07-06-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2393 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Bat,

One check that will assist with determining if the shotgun has been cut off is to see if a Dime will fit in the muzzle holding it on it's side. With the Full marked on the barrel, if the dime goes in it surely has been modified by someone. A full choke will not accept the dime! That is if it is a 12 GA? They could have modified a 16 for example if it was a commercial gun if they produced one in that time frame?

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-06-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Some people would have given you more money for it with the original patina versus what you've done to it now.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #14

I went to the local gun shop, he offered me $100. I asked him how I should go about clening it, he said to use 0000 Steel wool (softer than the steel) and gun oil. He also offered to re-blue it, said it would be around $250-300. I'm considering getting it re-blued anyway, I didn't see the harm in cleaning the rust off.

But anyways, I decided against selling it.

But on that note, has anyone had any success with the home bluing kits? I figure the most I could lose is $15. If I don't like it, I can always take it to the gun shop.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatHunters View Post
I went to the local gun shop, he offered me $100. I asked him how I should go about clening it, he said to use 0000 Steel wool (softer than the steel) and gun oil. He also offered to re-blue it, said it would be around $250-300. I'm considering getting it re-blued anyway, I didn't see the harm in cleaning the rust off.

But anyways, I decided against selling it.

But on that note, has anyone had any success with the home bluing kits? I figure the most I could lose is $15. If I don't like it, I can always take it to the gun shop.
NOOOOOOOOOOO, don't do it. For the most part you will not get the desired results. They are not bad for a quick touch up but for a whole gun they are just not consistent enough and trust me after a botched up home bluing the price of professional re-bluing will go up considerably.

I would re-blue the gun too since it's not original anymore why not make it nice! But save your money and get it done right.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Note: Those aren't guns...I see a rifle and a shotgun.

Now, I respectfully return you to your thread, already in progress.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #17

To a SASS cowboy shooter if the 97 functions it would be worth 350 up. Dont let some gunshop or purist tell you its ruined or its not worth anything.
It looks fine the way it is and would look great with a professional reblue. We all know its collector value is gone but it still is a nice looking and functional firearm which can be enjoyed for many more years.
If you decide to sell there is a large contengent of SASS shooters in the St. Louis area.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #18

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

+1 on what Wambli said about the bluing. If you're going to do it do it right. Cold blue will be uneven and splotchy and wont last any longer than a fart in a whirlwind.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php