Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > gun layouts/designs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gun layouts/designs

I am a complete newbie to fire arms, what I know I have learnt through games and the internet, I know that a Bullpup configuration firearm has it's magazine behind the firing mechanism but what is a more conventional design (like a M16, M4A1 or AK47) called?
and what of the 'pistol-type' magazine placement shown by an Uzi or a MP7 submachinegun, is there a particular name for that?
thanks for reading

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
jbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoKeNLoGiK View Post
I am a complete newbie to fire arms, what I know I have learnt through games and the internet, I know that a Bullpup configuration firearm has it's magazine behind the firing mechanism but what is a more conventional design (like a M16, M4A1 or AK47) called?
and what of the 'pistol-type' magazine placement shown by an Uzi or a MP7 submachinegun, is there a particular name for that?
thanks for reading
The other arrangements don't really have particular names - perhaps because the bullpup layout is so unusual, and other others are so... usual. You can see the logical engineering evolution in layout from a 15th century matchlock to the modern assault rifle.

The bullpup, on the other hand, arose in the 1950's (the origin of the term is unclear).

Good question - it made me do a little research to check up on my own understanding.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Good answer to a good question. Now you've got me wondering about the origins of the bullpup design.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Wikipedia has a page on bullpup firearms. Fairly informative. google bullpup and it should be one of the first ones to come up on the list.