Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gun Collection Philosophy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My first firearms purchases were for home and self-defense.

Then I picked up a good (sporterized 1903 Springfield) rifle in .30-06 for hunting.

The a couple more defense pistols and a S&W M29 I could NOT pass up. ($300 for NIB during the 'Dirty Harry' mania of the middle '70s.)

Then I bought some specific target type pistols. Bullseye at first. Then something(s) for IPSC style shooting. Then a PPC revolver.

Since I was a lawman, I started picking up 'cop guns'; mostly revolvers, but some autopistols of the 20th Century. And some 'significant development' handguns, like a Browning High Power and a S&W M39. Lately I've been collecting .32 Automatics of the Art Deco period. Three Savages, a Colt, a Harrington & Richardson, an MAB, a Beretta and so on. And I just like Ruger Single Actions (three screw versions) in .357 and .44 Magnum. And Government marked .45 Awfulmatics.

I've even got a couple shotguns for bird hunting - provided I can hit the silly things.

There's some order and plan, and some "That's neat!" factor. But I still have places to put them, so I don't have too many yet. Nor too many books; same rules apply.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #62

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My first pistol I purchased for my self was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. A local game warden had just purchased one. He was out back of a rural LGS trying his new EDC out. He let me shoot it a few times. I walked into the shop and ordered one just like it. I still have that gun today.

The game wardens purchase had nothing to do with dirty harry. He needed a tough reliable gun that gave him a fair chance in a shoot out with criminals armed with hunting weapons. The SBH would penetrate car doors and bust engine blocks. It would buy him enough time to get his shotgun or rifle. A S&W model 10 and it's anemic 38 spl chambering just didn't have the range or power to protect him.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #63

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My collection is a sort of "mixed bag", my handguns are strictly wheel guns, both single and double actions. (autos are too complex for this simple mind) I have a weakness for Bisley grips and have several. My rifles run the gambit from my Win M 100 to my Marlin levers to my bolts to my Win M 61 pump. I have one shotgun a 870 LH

Last edited by Cheeseman; 09-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.