Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gun Collection Philosophy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 674 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 46

My collection includes any firearm I can get my hands on. I haven't sold a gun in about 15 years, and I've bought a lot more guns sense then.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #52

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Here'2 my 2cents
The 10 guns every gun enthusiast should own.
1. 1911 govt of quality build.
2. M1A
3. Some type of AR15/M4 of quality build
4. Long range target/hunting rifle preferably a magnum
5. Heavy bull barrel target/varmint rifle small caliber.
6. Concealed carry pistol of at least .40caliber
7. Very accurate/target style .22 pistol.
8.Very accurate .22 target rifle.
9. Novelty gun (lever,xp100, sawed off)
10.Quality shotgun like an A5 or citori

Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #53

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

A handgun of some sort.
A long range rifle for hunting. .270 is a good all around caliber. And abundant.
A pump or semi auto shot gun.
And an AR.

Gotsta have these. You wouldn't need anything else. After you have one of each of these then start your collectible guns. And a good knife to add to this. And maybe a Bow. For the silence. Then spend your money in stocking up on ammo. Rather than having a bunch of guns with multiple different calibers. Have a bunch of ammo for those guns. Spend your money on training. Spend your money on preparing. Spend your money on accessories for those guns you already have.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #54

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

I started out collecting "working" guns; a nice,scoped, bolt action, a semi-auto, mag. fed rifle, long and short shotguns, a couple of .22 rifles, and more than a handfull of revolvers and pistols.

Working guns out of the way, I got hooked on collecting Mosin-Nagant rifles. There is a tremendous variety of these rifles, and they span a period of around 70 years, and most are veterans of at least one major war. You can pick these guns up at a price a working man on a budget can afford. I believe that the value of these rifles are going to increase dramatically as the imports slow down and collector interest grows. I am now within spitting distance of 50 Mosins, and I have no intention of slowing down...

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #55

Liked 859 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
I believe that the value of these rifles are going to increase dramatically as the imports slow down and collector interest grows.
You are at least the 2nd person I've heard say this. My only question is about ammo. Right now you can get the NOS corrosive ammo for cheap. If/when that runs out, then what? New manufacture non-corrosive ammo is available, no? How common/ cost effective is it? If the NOS runs out, do you think that'll change?

Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
You are at least the 2nd person I've heard say this. My only question is about ammo. Right now you can get the NOS corrosive ammo for cheap. If/when that runs out, then what? New manufacture non-corrosive ammo is available, no? How common/ cost effective is it? If the NOS runs out, do you think that'll change?
There are several makers of 7.62 x 54r ammo out there now. When the surplus ammo runs out, (and that could be many years) other makers will come on line as well. The commercial stuff is priced about the same as similar centerfire rifle rounds.

If you purchase one of these rifles, then buy ammo by the case. $150.00 for 800 rounds is common. At that price, many Mosin shooters have several cases stacked around. The surplus comes sealed in tin cans and who knows how long the stuff will last, but you won't have to worry about it going bad in your lifetime.

Carl Sagan

Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #57

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I started out collecting "working" guns; a nice,scoped, bolt action, a semi-auto, mag. fed rifle, long and short shotguns, a couple of .22 rifles, and more than a handfull of revolvers and pistols.

Working guns out of the way, I got hooked on collecting Mosin-Nagant rifles. There is a tremendous variety of these rifles, and they span a period of around 70 years, and most are veterans of at least one major war. You can pick these guns up at a price a working man on a budget can afford. I believe that the value of these rifles are going to increase dramatically as the imports slow down and collector interest grows. I am now within spitting distance of 50 Mosins, and I have no intention of slowing down...
I got hooked on milsurp, and tweaking for accuracy. As I've stated before,

ANYONE can spend 2000$ on a rifle and shoot MOA. But can you take

anyman's war rifle and shoot 3MOA? 2MOA? How about offhand? etc.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #58

Liked 859 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
If you purchase one of these rifles, then buy ammo by the case. $150.00 for 800 rounds is common. At that price, many Mosin shooters have several cases stacked around. The surplus comes sealed in tin cans and who knows how long the stuff will last, but you won't have to worry about it going bad in your lifetime.
Agreed. BUT, it IS corrosive, am I correct? If so, I don't know, cleaning guns isn't really my favorite thing to do........especially every time I shoot it.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Agreed. BUT, it IS corrosive, am I correct? If so, I don't know, cleaning guns isn't really my favorite thing to do........especially every time I shoot it.
If you aren't willing to clean your gun properly, soon after the range trip, (hours not days) you should not shoot the cheap surplus corrosive ammo. The acidic deposits start to attack the bore as soon as it cools.

Properly, for corrosive ammo, is different for properly for modern ammo.

Carl Sagan

Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #60

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My gun collection (and I've only been doing this for about 5 years) is seeking to fulfill a list of needs. I have actually written a list of types of firearms that I need to fill. I like to double or triple within one caliber rather than have tons of different calibers to have to buy ammo for. I'm a little more than halfway through the list, but the list goes like this:

Handguns (10):

22 semi-auto pistol
Snubbie revolver 38or357
Pocket pistol 380
Small single-stack 9mm
Large single-stack 9mm
Small double-stack 9mm
Full-size double-stack 9mm
Carry 1911 45acp
Government 1911 45acp
Full-size double-stack 45acp

Long guns (8):