Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gun Collection Philosophy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My dad gave me an old browning take down .22 when I was a kid, then have me a 25-06 when I got my eagle scout at 14.

image-2461505082.jpg

I had a few .45 colts when I was old enough to buy them, just like them old time cowboys. But it's such a pain the @$$ to try and ride a horse with them, so I sold all of them.

I got a Howa 300 WM in 2009 when my friends got me hooked on The Best of The West, dialed out to 700 yards.

image-3564763112.jpg

I picked up a pre 64 model 70 last year, kind of as a safe queen, but I'll take it out chuck hunting now and then, it's just a pleasure to shoot. I didn't want to scratch it though, so I bought a new one to beat up instead. The 30-06 is IMHO the greatest cartridge to shoot. Kill anything there is to hunt (even elephant, look it up!) and don't recoil hardly.

image-1357565236.jpg

Last week I picked up a tang safety Ruger 22-250 it looks brand new. Haven't got to shoot it yet, (don't wanna start another fire, pray for rain friends) but should be awesome.

image-2646000183.jpg

Most my guns are for hunting, but some I got cuz I just like them, like my 30-30 and XD 40. I really don't care about zombies or home defense, (guns don't really help against fires, my only real threat at this point.) I just love hunting.

image-778018911.jpg

The rest I don't use much or was given, or they are my wife's.

Top is my wife's 10/22
My Marlin Model 60
My wife's tikka .243
My Remington 870
My Thompson Center .54 Hawken

image-1212252532.jpg

I have no idea why it posted my first pic again, twice. Think I have a thing for walnut and steal?

image-3346959652.jpg   image-15055239.jpg  

Last edited by Model70; 07-02-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"I suspect you are going to find a lot of different ways that folks came to accumulate- cause you got a lot of different folks."

Thats exactly what I was looking for
Thanks C3shooter

Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I only have three guns but each serves a purpose, in my mind. I have a .357 revolver which I consider my primary HD gun. Then I have a .22 semi-auto that I consider my 'fun gun'. Lastly, I have a small .380 pistol used to keep on me, when I can. I live in Illinois so I can only carry in my home or around my property.

I know this is in the rifle section. don't own any rifles yet.
Also from IL.. most gun un-friendly state in the nation.

On that note, my collection is still young, i've only just started. Not so much a collection as just a pile of guns that have been obtained.

Savage axis .223 for a mid range 'yote rifle. A 1911 for...well everyone should have a 1911 ;-). An old Win 20ga break action my great grandad gave me. Ruger 10-22 for a good squirrel gun. The AR build i did. And a taurus m65 .357 that's a "glove box gun".

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #24

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Started shooting and hunting very young(5 years old)following my Dad rabbit,squirrel,dove,quail,pheasant,duck,goose,and deer hunting.The Turkey came later

I never thought of it as a collection? Just hunting tools needed for the hunt.
By the time I was 12 I had accumulated several hunting tools-Rem 1100 20ga. for bird hunting,Savage 22 semi auto rifle,Rem 742 30-06,H&R Sportsman 999 22 revolver,and a 30 carbine just because.?

Since then in the next 36 years I kept adding to the hunting tools,other shotguns and bolt action rifles. In the early 90s I was bit hard by the gun bug and went full bore into the AR and Handgun arena shooting and hunting.
The only firearm from my original hunting arsenal that I sold was my Rem 1100 20ga. and wish I hadn't

Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #25

Liked 2367 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

i personally believe everyone should try to have 1 rifle, 1 pistol, and 1 shotgun in their collection. but that's just mo.

for me, there really isn't any grand planning to my small "collection." i just look around, usually find something i think will be fun and interesting to shoot, research it A LOT, and then start saving for it.

hard to admit, but i really appreciate "pretty guns" i love guns with nice details and especially nice wood stocks. i also like firearms with a bit of history about them. and a high "fun factor" shooting is a must.

but the most important factor is, will i enjoy owning & shooting this gun for many, many years?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #26

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Krisko, those 65's are DAMN fine guns!! I had one myself up until recently. Did a trigger job and bobbed the hammer. Only problem is, I wasn't very accurate with it. It was me, not the gun. My mom could hold 2" groups at 15' with it, while I was shooting a pattern with it at that distance. Jstrong could probably take the top off a coke bottle at that distance with it. I think it was just the long trigger pull. I lightened it quite a bit and smoothed it up, in SA it had about a .5lb trigger pull and broke like a glass rod, but I bobbed the hammer because it was my carry gun.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Krisko, those 65's are DAMN fine guns!! I had one myself up until recently. Did a trigger job and bobbed the hammer. Only problem is, I wasn't very accurate with it. It was me, not the gun. My mom could hold 2" groups at 15' with it, while I was shooting a pattern with it at that distance. Jstrong could probably take the top off a coke bottle at that distance with it. I think it was just the long trigger pull. I lightened it quite a bit and smoothed it up, in SA it had about a .5lb trigger pull and broke like a glass rod, but I bobbed the hammer because it was my carry gun.
Yeah it does have a pretty rough pull, but for what i use it for its nbd. I'm a decent shot with it, nothing special. I have considered a trigger job though..

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2000

[QUOTE=hawkguy;856508]i personally believe everyone should try to have 1 rifle, 1 pistol, and 1 shotgun in their collection. but that's just mo.

I felt that way towards my own guns for a long time (but to the extreme). My goal was to have only one hunting rifle, shotgun, .22, and pistol but that was in regard to hunting (even though I accumulated a couple more). As a die hard hunter I believed in the one gun philosophy - you should hunt with one gun and over time you will get really really good with that gun. I still believe that in regards to using a gun, but I finally figured out I could have an appreciation for them and collect them.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

i buy guns that look like fun or have historical value that appeals to me. if a gun isnt fun for me even a self defense gun i dont want it and it will quickly get sold. some rare guns are so good but i just dont prefer (ruger MKII that WoC now owns) that i will hold onto for years until the right new owner comes along. i dont actively look to sell those, still have one or two in the safe.

all my guns get used and shot so i dont have nor will i buy a true collector gun like a 20,000$ colt SAA i would ruin the value because i would shoot it- a lot. i will leave that to others who just like to own guns but dont shoot em. to me a gun is worthless if you cant shoot it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #30

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

The only gun I own that I don't shoot is my granddads Belgian A5. And ONLY because he was the last one to shoot it.

As far as my collecting "philosophy", it's totally random. It just depends on how I'm feeling that day. Kinda like women at a bar (club for you youngsters )...sometimes one just catches your eye.