Gun Collection Philosophy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gun Collection Philosophy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The bug....Yep, I'm there. All the firearms I listed above were all new. Now that I have my bases covered I am planning on rounding it out with used guns I can tinker with. I still want a bolt action in .308, I also want a lever not sure the cartridge yet, and of course the venerable 1911. Did I say I caught the bug LOL

Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

My collection doesn't have just one theme. I'm really into milsurps, but I also have a few modern guns in my small collection.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

i collect milsurp also...but us military only....to be more specific (20th century military) individual issued weapons (no machine guns). i have all except for the johnson. some are mitary issued and some are civilian equivelant (semi only) i.e. m1a instead of m14, ar15 instead of m16 and thompson 1928 semi to avoid class 3 licensing. although a semi auto only m2 .50 cal is available but too rich for my blood ($4k).

Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8113

The best way to describe my collection is the same way I describe my trucks. Old, cheap, and reliable. Bolt action mil-surps, Semi-auto .22s, Bolt, pump, and break action shotguns, Most qualify as C&R guns. All get regular use. My EDC pistol is older than my dad, My primary shotgun was my grandfather's first new double, my main deer rifle saw use in WWI and WWII, And my Primary plinker was bought by my grandfather (used no less!) in 1948. My wife and step daughter own 2 of the three new guns in the household, I picked up a 10\22 as the base for a project 2 years ago. I guess I like my guns like I like my women...... Older!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #15

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

When I Started I had a 12 gauge, an SKS, and a sportered GEW98. No collection, no rhyme or reason. Then I started finding WWII surplus rifles. Had all 1942's of the following. K98k vet bring back, 2 Enfield No4mk1*'s, Model 99 Arisaka, vet bring back w/ monopad, aircraft sights..every little piece of crap they came with., Soviet 91/30, but I could not find an M1 Garand that was a 1942, so I sold the K98 and Model 99. About 2 months later I bought a 1942 H&R M1 Garand, just to say I had them all. Sold it 3 weeks later. I really got into Mausers, all kinds. I collect Military rifles now plus the few Swedish Sporters I can find. I really love those Swede's. You'll hear how you need a .375 uber mag for big game. I'll stick with a 120 year old 9.3x57 cartridge and 70 year old Rifle and just get closer. This is a 286gr 9.3 next to a 165gr .308.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #16

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I like milsurp, and/or historically significant. I'm not really a collector, only because of the limited funds, but what I do get are time proven and tested designs. I don't own a type of gun that isn't at least based off of a design over 100 years old.

I'm into classics like that. I prefer old muscle cars over new gas sippers, black and white movies over joisy shoa, big band over boy bands, and a straight razor over a Mach 20 razor (or what the hell ever they're up to now).

Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I like milsurp, and/or historically significant. I'm not really a collector, only because of the limited funds, but what I do get are time proven and tested designs. I don't own a type of gun that isn't at least based off of a design over 100 years old.

I'm into classics like that. I prefer old muscle cars over new gas sippers, black and white movies over joisy shoa, big band over boy bands, and a straight razor over a Mach 20 razor (or what the hell ever they're up to now).
Collection was ment to be what you have, not that you were spending lots of money on it. It should be obvious from what I have. I have to agree about the classics, I'm a wood and steel kind of guy when it comes to rifles.
Not sure if I would ever use a straight razor but I still use an old gilette 2 blade razor everyday.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl View Post
Collection was ment to be what you have, not that you were spending lots of money on it. It should be obvious from what I have. I have to agree about the classics, I'm a wood and steel kind of guy when it comes to rifles.
Not sure if I would ever use a straight razor but I still use an old gilette 2 blade razor everyday.
All that other stuff I mentioned were just examples of how my tastes run. I like old stuff. Like you, I'm a wood and steel guy.
Right now I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (circa 1938), an Eddystone Enfield (circa 1917), a single shot break action .223 rossi (new, but the break action design has been around forever), and a 1911 SA milspec (also new, but the design is... you get the idea.)

And as far as razors go, once you go straight... well, nevermind

Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
All that other stuff I mentioned were just examples of how my tastes run. I like old stuff. Like you, I'm a wood and steel guy.
Right now I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (circa 1938), an Eddystone Enfield (circa 1917), a single shot break action .223 rossi (new, but the break action design has been around forever), and a 1911 SA milspec (also new, but the design is... you get the idea.)

And as far as razors go, once you go straight... well, nevermind

HAHAHAHAHA!!! thats awesome BTW.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

I'll skip my usual "There was this HORRIBLE boating accident....." response, because you asked a good question.

Over the years I had acquired firearms either for a particular function (need a bird gun, need a carry gun) or because I liked a particular gun (Marlin 336, etc) Back about 1982, I was pawn shopping in Phenix City AL, and ran across a sad little 22 auto rifle, with a $10 price tag. It was a Mossberg 152. Had never seen one, but liked the fold down forearm.
pistols-001.jpg

I rehabbed it- metal and wood, and later ran across another. And then a different Mossberg 22 from the same period. And another. And another. And got interested in the history of Mossberg. Got a Mossberg 44US- made for the US Govt in WW 2 as a military trainer- and a damned good target rifle. Now have about 2 dozen Mossberg 22s from the 40's and 50's.

Been going thru similar collecting with Remington 22s. Been accumulating Masters. SpeedMaster, RangeMaster, TargetMaster, GameMaster, ScoreMaster, etc. About 3 yrs ago, picked up a Mossberg 410 bolt action (dirt cheap, went with the other Mossys) and recognizing a junkie when they saw one, my local gun shop started setting little 410s aside for me. Now have 5 different 410 bolt actions- including one that has a tube magazine that loads like a .22!

Yes, I have the usual milsurps- Enfields, Mausers, Moisin-Nagants, K-31s- just because they are fun to shoot (and I like the LONG bayonet on my SMLE- zombies, y'know ) But I still bargain hunt- last one was a marlin 81 with a chipped toe on the stock, and a broken buttplate for $60. Hmmmm- spare buttplate in the parts box, 5 minutes with a sander to reshape toe, stain, Linspeed finish- and a happy grandkid. Don't know if it is really collecting if you give them away....

My handguns and shotguns- for the most part- were acquired for function- either hunting, self defense, or target. Praying that I do not get bit by the side by side bug- have a couple, but that can get pricey real fast. So far I am addicted to the cheap stuff. God rest his soul, my Best Man was addicted to European drillings- SxS shotgun with a rifle barrel beneath, worth the cost of a good used car. But sometime whimsy hits you- all of these are .22s-pistols-008.jpg

The last category are the guns that will only be disposed of in my will. The H&R 410 that was given to me the day I was born (thanx, Grandad) My Dad's BAR in .243 (and memories of the deer that Dad took with it) Uncle Bill's Winchester 71. The cheap Boito 12 g SXS that my lady bought me for our first anniversary.

I suspect you are going to find a lot of different ways that folks came to accumulate- cause you got a lot of different folks.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.