Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Gun Collection Philosophy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/gun-collection-philosophy-67417/)

Commocarl 07-01-2012 02:55 PM

Gun Collection Philosophy

****DISCLAMER******
This is not an argument thread, please don't turn it into one.
****DISCLAMER******
Just curious how many of you guys have collected your firearms with a set idea in mind?

My collection is built around a "truck gun" idea. Inexpensive, popular with lots of aftermarket parts, high reliability. Common ammo, can run cheap ammo. I have mostly stuck to simi-autos, I like the idea that the next round is only a trigger press away.

I currently have:
Mossberg Maverick 88 - 12 guage
Ruger Mini 14 - .223
Ruger 10/22 - .22
CZ-75BD - 9mm pistol

winds-of-change 07-01-2012 02:58 PM

I only have three guns but each serves a purpose, in my mind. I have a .357 revolver which I consider my primary HD gun. Then I have a .22 semi-auto that I consider my 'fun gun'. Lastly, I have a small .380 pistol used to keep on me, when I can. I live in Illinois so I can only carry in my home or around my property.

I know this is in the rifle section. I don't own any rifles yet.

Commocarl 07-01-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 855228)
I only have three guns but each serves a purpose, in my mind. I have a .357 revolver which I consider my primary HD gun. Then I have a .22 semi-auto that I consider my 'fun gun'. Lastly, I have a small .380 pistol used to keep on me, when I can. I live in Illinois so I can only carry in my home or around my property.

I know this is in the rifle section. I don't own any rifles yet.

Winds,
I was at a loss on where to put this because it wasn't ment to be a rifle only thread. Lots of different reasons to have what you do. There is no wrong reply IMHO.

TLuker 07-01-2012 03:16 PM

My few rifles and shotguns were all bought or hand-me downs for hunting. I had just begun to think about actually collecting guns over the last year or so, and I just now figured out what I want to collect. So I now have a set, if I can call it that, in mind for a collection. I also now have an excuse to buy more guns.:D

flyspooky 07-01-2012 03:27 PM

I'm really into military history, so I set out to build a WWI and WWII collection...goal is to have a shootable example of the primary infantry long arm and pistol from each major power. It's a long journey, but I'm not doing too bad on the acquiring. Maybe 13 or so weapons, about evenly split between the two conflicts.

DrumJunkie 07-01-2012 03:29 PM

I have a multi-prong offense when it comes to what I buy for my collection. Pistols it's a toss up between how useful it is over the fun factor. Some are for me to carry around and some are only range toys. I have a couple rifles that have an agenda. Things like an AR, AK, SKS have a little more of a practical side though they area ton of fun. THen others are more for my enjoyment. I love military type rifles and carbines so I look for those as my finances allow. I have several rim fires and while I might only need a couple for hunting or varmint removal if I see something that catches my eye I have to get it. I mean if I have a 10-22 do I need a Remington 121 Fieldmaster? Not really but it's a really nice made older rimfire. They sure don't make em like they used to.

Many guns look as much like art as they do a weapon. So until I stop having those pangs when I see some nice old this or that I'll keep adding to my collection. Practicality is a great reason to buy a gun. It just seems to me like there's more to it. But we are all different. I guess tht is why they made so many different guns over the years.:)

Trez 07-01-2012 05:34 PM

I like collecting the milsurps.. No two look the same: A Mauser doesnt look like a Arisaka, doesnt look like a 1903, doesnt look like a Mosin, etc...I think most modern guns look mostly the same... From across the room that Win 70 looks just like that Rem 700....
I like learning the history behind them as well, and it got me into reloading (ever go to the gun store for 7.7 jap... you get looked at like a crazy person!)

I strange and oddball stuff too... Like my Medusa! ;)

BlueTurf 07-01-2012 05:43 PM

My gun collection does not have a specific theme to it. I started my collection by buying guns I wanted for a particular reason and went from there. As a youngster I wanted a Winchester 94 because of all of the cowboy TV shows and movies. The first regular rifle (bigger than a .22) I bought was a 94 about 40 years ago and I still have it. I loved watching the TV show "Combat" when I was a kid and always wanted a 1911. I bought my Colt 1911 in the early 80s and still have it. I remember when the M-14 was replacing the M-1 Garand. I was fascinated by the M-14 and always wanted one. My wife bought one for me for my 50th birthday. I have bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action and semi-automatic rifles. I like each one of them for their own specific features. I also have semi-auto handguns and revolvers in both single and double-action. Again, I like each one for its specific features. My rifles and handguns are in many different calibers.

Rick1967 07-01-2012 05:45 PM

I started out saying it would be WWII stuff. And I do have some. But I keep on finding other stuff that is just plain cool. I guess I need to be more deliberate.

Axxe55 07-01-2012 05:59 PM

when it comes to collecting/shooting, my main fascination is bolt action rifles, but are not my only passion when it comes to firearms. i enjoy rifles the most, but still enjoy pistols and shotguns too. my collection is vastly bolt action rifles, but is varied. as of lately, the 1911 bug has bitten me pretty hard!