Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > The great debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The great debate

Looking into getting a 243 auto.
The question is Browning short trac stalker or the Remington 750? Also any feed back on which one would be more easily accessorized (i.e ext mags, pistol grips stocks, etc.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

I know this isn't what you asked for, but personally I would get an older BAR in really good shape and not change a thing about. I don't really like what they are doing to any of the guns anymore, but that's probably just me. I'm guessing the Remington is based on the 742 which isn't a bad design. I've got one in 30/06 and it's been a good rifle, but I've always considered the Browning BAR's to be better rifles. But I haven't heard a lot of good things about the new BAR's so I would be looking for an older one. As for accessories, I would be looking for something entirely different I want to go with accessories. Most of the after market stuff is focused on the "tactical" rifles and wouldn't expect to see a lot of stuff for either the Browning or Remington?

Old 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Well doing some late night digging last night as far as furniture is concerned, the Remington 740,742,750 are the same and I did see quite a few rifles with tactical upgrades. However I am like you I do love a good Browning. And yes I know everybody is on this AR platform kick right now but I would like to stay away from that.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicked22 View Post
Well doing some late night digging last night as far as furniture is concerned, the Remington 740,742,750 are the same and I did see quite a few rifles with tactical upgrades. However I am like you I do love a good Browning. And yes I know everybody is on this AR platform kick right now but I would like to stay away from that.
Most of what I've seen for upgrades isn't very high quality stuff, but there could be exceptions? And I haven't looked in a while.

You might want to look at the Ruger Mini's? I've got a mini 14 ranch and it's a lot of fun, and I doubt there are many other rifles besides an AR with as many available accessories. IMHO the mini is not going to be as good of a deer rifle as a BAR (because of the calibers), but it will blast through a lot of rounds and is easily accessorized.

If you want a good deer rifle then I would recommend the BAR.

And if you don't mind paying some extra go ahead and get a Springfield M1A. I think it's about the best semi auto made and deer would not be a problem because it's a .308.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Extended mags and pistol grips, etc. Well, I'll just say...

remington-7600-w-metal-10-rnd-extended-mag.jpg   remington-7615-police-223-rifle.jpg  

Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

HockaLouis I have seen several pictures of that , what I am having trouble with is locating the websites that carry the products. I know the upgrades are out there. The more I dig into this project the more I learn. The FNH-FNAR is a .308 BAR with the upgrades I'm looking for, and the Remington 740,742,and 750 are the same as far as furniture is concerned.

I know the upgrades are out there for both rifles, If anybody knows of any websites that carry them that would greatly appreciated.

I Just want to stick with the .243 however for the hog and coyote aspect where I will be hunting.