A great day in the desert
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > A great day in the desert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default A great day in the desert

Went out to do some long range shooting last Saturday with a couple of friends, deep in the Mojave desert.

Weather was just about perfect, mid 60's. We did need to contend with some gusting wind. In our face it had no value, but when it was a crosswind it affected impact. Gusts were about 12-20, right to left. I was using between 1 and 2 mils of windage, all day. I was most surprised to find that my dope was off by about 20-25% from the notes in my log. My log showed 38 clicks of elevation (LRB M25) for 400 yards, but yesterday 30 clicks did the job. And at 1,000 yards 184 clicks ended up only being 151. The control dope in my log was set and verified on a day when the weather was much hotter (100+ degrees). As you look at the pics it may look like we were shooting at a low angle, but actually it was almost flat. I gave the angle a zero value as it was very slight. This is the kind of excellent information that needs to be noted in a log.

We set up our home made steel plates, which measure 6"x12", on our home made rebar stands. Our ranges yesterday were 400 yards, 750 yards, 950 yards and 1,000 yards, lasered off to the yard and verified in both directions. Our 950 target was 2 of these plates connected (12"x12"), but the 400, 750 and 1,000 were the 6x12's.The deep holes in the plate are from a previous trip and were caused by close shots (50-75 yards) with various rifles, from .308 up to a Barrett .50.

One friend focused on his Savage M12 FVSS in .308 in a Bell & Carlson, topped with an IOR 6-24. The other brought his LRB M25, topped with a Premier Heritage. I brought along my LRB M25 in JAE G2 topped with an IOR 10x56, and my Armscorp M14 in JAE G2 topped with an IOR 6x42. My Armscorp has a standard profile USGI Winchester 62 bbl, but it shot one hole groups, even before dropping into the JAE G2. It was black nickel plated back in the early 90's, so it is a shiny black finish. I ended up using a Leatherwood Mount on it, and it worked perfectly. The Leatherwood comes with elevation shims (Needed) and has built in fine windage adjustments (also needed). I have not used this mount in a few years, but it worked great and adjusted exactly. It also stayed put, never shifted and sits very low. So now that this rifle seems to be dialed in, I'll set it on paper and it will get a camo job like the one on my LRB after the next range trip.

It soon became obvious that the 400 yard plate was too close, which we found gratifying. Ha. The 750 plate was an excellent test of skill, and due to its larger size the 950 plate about the same. That 1,000 plate kept moving out of the way of the bullets but still ended up with about a dozen hits, and the rocks around it were pulverized. The dirt around the plate looked like it had been roto-tilled. Not bad for a tiny plate (head sized) at 1,000 yards. Great confidence builder.

I used BHM 168 all day and it again proved its excellence. A friend used some BHM and some Hornady TAP 168 in his LRB M25. Both excellent. Another friend was trying BHM 168 and 175, and seemed to like the 175's best in his Savage.

I fired a total of 130 rds of BHM. 50 from my Armscorp, 75 from my LRB and 5 from my bud’s Savage. All rounds fired were from prone. Savage shooter used a bag and a squeeze bag, the other used a Tango Down bipod, and I used a bag and squeezebag.

Savage shooter also brought his SAI TRP Operator .45 along. Scarily accurate pistol. He dropped a couple rds from one mag onto the 400 yard plate while standing. There were also a G21, G17 and Colt 70 Series .45 along, but they only had a few rds run through them.

I came home pretty dehydrated and sunburned (typical), with more than a few bug bites (creepy little beasties out there), but am looking forward to the next trip. It makes for a very long day, but is worth it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Looks like fun. Where are you at abouts? The only time I've spent in Mojave unfortunately is speeding through on my way up to Mammoth.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Looks like fun. Where are you at abouts? The only time I've spent in Mojave unfortunately is speeding through on my way up to Mammoth.
I live in the San Fernando Valley. Not too far from you.

If you like long range rifle shooting, the Mojave is the best place you will find.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

What kind of cost could someone expect to get an LRB M25 like yours or your friends? I love that stock and the accuracy seems to be fantastic.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great stuff. Thanks for posting it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
What kind of cost could someone expect to get an LRB M25 like yours or your friends? I love that stock and the accuracy seems to be fantastic.
The LRB M25 has a retail price of about $2600 right now (set up like mine). The dealer cost is about $300 less. The JAE Gen 2 set up with some goodies will run about $1,000-$1,100, I think (and WELL worth it). A decent scope will set you back anywhere from several hundred (Bushnell Elite $200), to about $3500 (S&B). Rings are another $125-$250, usually.

Right now the rifle and the stock are taking about a year to deliver.

Figure anywhere from $4500-$6500, depending on the optics. I use IOR scopes almost exclusively these days (MP8 reticles). They use the best glass in the world (Schott Glass) have 100% repeatability on the turrets, and are WAY overbuilt in the durability arena. They are also very affordable (especially compared to other European scopes). My buddy has the Premier Heritage. It is essentially a Schmidt & Bender with the PH reticle and turrets installed. It is a pretty amazing scope.

The JAE G2 will make a good shooting rifle into an amazing shooter. My LRB was previously in a bedded USGI synthetic and turned in about 1.25" for a 5 shot group at 100 yards (BHM 168). This was 5 shots in about 15 seconds. Now, the same rifle in the JAE G2 will do 5/8" or better. A group shrunk by half is a very good thing. And the JAE requires no bedding, ever.

And my M25 has a chrome lined bbl to boot.

That 6"x12" plate is about the same size as a head. Hitting it at 1,000 yards is flipping cool, considering that it is with a 7.62x51 rifle.

I strongly recommend the LRB M25 and JAE stocks.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Hey hows about a little info on that bolt gun you got there.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Hey hows about a little info on that bolt gun you got there.
The bolt gun is my buddy's Savage 12FVSS in .308. We bedded it into a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock in OD Spider Web. The scope is an IOR 6-24x50. He was getting one hole groups with it his first time out with BHM175gr. 5 shot, dime sized groups at 200 yards with a brand new rifle. I can't wait to see how it shoots after it is broken in. The BHM 175's shoot so well it almost doesn't make sense to work up a load for it.

I have the same rifle in .223, and it shoots the Winchester 45gr HP even better than that. It won't shoot any other factory load into less than 4", but it loves that 45gr Win. Most loads look like shotgun patterns at 100 yards, but the Win 45gr rocks.

Thanks for asking.