Got to play hunter tonight

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Got to play hunter tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 509 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default Got to play hunter tonight

No joy though...sigh. Open season on a field rat (hate em)

We have a bird feeder and a squirrel feeder out back. Never had a problem, just one time last year. Sort of the reason I bought a Marlin 60 .22

It has a really nice 9X scope on it sighted it for 25 yards which is exactly what I wanted it for.

So wife and I are on the back deck watching a baby bunny. Across the grass shoots this big rat, flies up the tree and into the feeder. Now the feeder is a wood box with a big glass jar on the front so you can see them eat. If I am willing to sacrifice the jar, this rat is toast.

No...wife wont let me shoot the jar. So I have to wait and get him through the side hole as he exits. And wait. And wait. 3 times he poked his head to see if all was okay. I was patient, didn't take the shot because in a blink, he was back to the jar...I wanted him checking his exit and on the way out.

and wait and wait. 30 minutes resting on the rail. So he scoots out the BACK hole and no shot.

Oh well, no rat head to hang over the mantle...THIS TIME.

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #2

Liked 204 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
No joy though...sigh. Open season on a field rat (hate em)

We have a bird feeder and a squirrel feeder out back. Never had a problem, just one time last year. Sort of the reason I bought a Marlin 60 .22

It has a really nice 9X scope on it sighted it for 25 yards which is exactly what I wanted it for.

So wife and I are on the back deck watching a baby bunny. Across the grass shoots this big rat, flies up the tree and into the feeder. Now the feeder is a wood box with a big glass jar on the front so you can see them eat. If I am willing to sacrifice the jar, this rat is toast.

No...wife wont let me shoot the jar. So I have to wait and get him through the side hole as he exits. And wait. And wait. 3 times he poked his head to see if all was okay. I was patient, didn't take the shot because in a blink, he was back to the jar...I wanted him checking his exit and on the way out.

and wait and wait. 30 minutes resting on the rail. So he scoots out the BACK hole and no shot.

Oh well, no rat head to hang over the mantle...THIS TIME.

maybe for the best, maybe a partner the next time!

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

All for the best. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to taxidermy that teeny, tiny rat head! Besides, unless you have a rodent head collection over the mantle, it would look out of place next to the skunk you got last year.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 509 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default Be very very quiet

I'm huntin wat !

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

maybe the next one will be a trophy rat!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2801 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Just think of the possibilities, once you begin serious collecting!

File Type: jpg rat.jpg (8.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ratrug.jpg (8.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg rat earrings.jpg (6.6 KB, 37 views)

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The bad thing about rats is that if you see one, there are probably several more.

We have a bird feeder as well and after several months I watched a rat come out of the blackberry bushes and start eating spilled seed. Sniped that one with my pellet rifle. I figured that should fix the problem. Next evening around sunset another rat can creeping out. One shot, one kill. I'm up to 7 killed now. Could get rid of the feeder and I'm sure the rats would go find another source if food. Right now they stay away from the house and provide random target practice.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #8

Liked 171 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 75

If you have rats or mice, then you need a cat.

If you need a cat, it is best to get a kitten and raise it yourself.

Cats kill everything that moves, not just rats and mice.

They kill insects, birds, chipmunks, ducklings and they even drive off skunks and unwanted flea bag feral cats too.

File Type: jpg SNOWBALL 1.jpg (29.9 KB, 27 views)

Old 08-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
If you have rats or mice, then you need a cat.

If you need a cat, it is best to get a kitten and raise it yourself.

Cats kill everything that moves, not just rats and mice.

They kill insects, birds, chipmunks, ducklings and they even drive off skunks and unwanted flea bag feral cats too.
And if you get tired of them they cook up pretty nice too.

Just kidding. It can be a decent choice if you like cats and aren't allergic. Small terriers are pretty good for rats if you aren't a cat person. Or a good Corn or king snake works too. King snakes can keep away some of the other venomous snakes as well. But if the snake finishes off the rats you may not need bird or squirrel feeders for much longer.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Liked 110 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I like the pellet rifle idea best.

Kind Regards, Salvo