Got myself a new toy, have a question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Got myself a new toy, have a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Got myself a new toy, have a question

Alright, I just got a 1943 Mosin Nagant M91/30. It's very nice, and I've got 100 rounds of Russian surplus ammo that I'll be getting to shoot Friday (though probably not all of it) and I'm super excited. It may not exactly be a prized collector's piece, but I'm very happy. It already holds a great deal of sentimental/historical value for me. Ever since I was a child, I've been fascinated by Russia and the Soviet Union. I was able to study the language, politics, culture, and history in college. And with my grandfather being a veteran, WWII has always been an area of history I love. A perfect combination for me!

I have a question though

When I disassembled and reassembled it to clean the cosmoline, I had a lot of trouble getting the stock bands off and on the rifle. Even put a scratch in the wood

Does anyone have any tips for getting these on and off? I'd appreciate any suggestions

Thanks for your help

Also, because I'm just so happy, here's a couple pics

clean-1.jpg   clean-2.jpg  
Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversary .22lr
Sears & Roebuck .22lr
1943 Mosin-Nagant M91/30

In the family:
Springfield Loaded 1911 .45 ACP
S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum
FN Herstal FNX 40

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ive found this site to be very informative for the mosins

Mosin Nagant

Havent used this one much, but seems well too

Main Page

I just sold my 1934 Tula hex, only shot it 8 times.....the day I sold it.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Some more info for you here: Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - HISTORY

The barrel bands are not removed in ordinary day to day maint. They are tighter than all get out.

If you shoot 100 rounds with that, stop by the drugstore and get the BIG bottle of Ibuprofen on the way home. You will want it the next day. Slip on recoil pad or THICK jacket welcome.

If your rifle has been in storage, also suggest you use a drill and a .50 cal brush and solvent, scrub the daylights out of the CHAMBER before heading for the range. Read the article on "sticky bolt syndrome"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.