Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Good varmit rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/good-varmit-rifle-82770/)

ArrizX 01-29-2013 09:28 AM

Good varmit rifle

Having a hard time decided what to buy this spring for critters. Prairie dogs, raccoons, and even coyotes. Possibly even as small as chipmunks. I dont like to kill them but they get into the vents and headliners of my buddys rigs so this would be up at his house.

I have an ar-15 and think the .223 is a good round but I would like a bolt action. I really like to vary my caliber selection so I was looking for a change. I have a nice .270 but I feel thats overkill. I was actually thinking maybe using iron sights but I guess I dont really care.

My only consideration is ammo needs to be readily available at big box stores. I really like the .204 but not sure where to get it locally

Colby 01-29-2013 09:56 AM

There's a big difference between chipmunks and prairie dogs.
years ago to protect grazing horses from ground hogs and their holes, I use 22lr with iron sights. It was underpowered - especially at the distances I had to approach from. Those little guys are very cautious!
But I was successful. Another reason for 22 at that time was due to noise - and the long arm of the law. Didn't want some booming cannon.

--------
gotta edit this ... I did eventually change from plain iron sights to a scope - going after those ground hogs with the 22lr
--------

But 22 Mag through a rifle would provide much better power and range for picking off critters. Not sure about prairie dog size, though.
Maybe look at the .17, or possibly the 22 Hornet - though that would cost a bit more to shoot.
When you start getting into the large cartridge stuff - 223 and 243 - your gonna tear the critter apart. Maybe that doesn't matter...

ArrizX 01-29-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colby;1114714[B
]There's a big difference between chipmunks and prairie dogs.[/B]
years ago to protect grazing horses from ground hogs and their holes, I use 22lr with iron sights. It was underpowered - especially at the distances I had to approach from. Those little guys are very cautious!
But I was successful. Another reason for 22 at that time was due to noise - and the long arm of the law. Didn't want some booming cannon.

--------
gotta edit this ... I did eventually change from plain iron sights to a scope - going after those ground hogs with the 22lr
--------

But 22 Mag through a rifle would provide much better power and range for picking off critters. Not sure about prairie dog size, though.
Maybe look at the .17, or possibly the 22 Hornet - though that would cost a bit more to shoot.
When you start getting into the large cartridge stuff - 223 and 243 - your gonna tear the critter apart. Maybe that doesn't matter...

Isnt that the truth lol. I think we can agree my .270 is too much.

Anyways thats a good idea, I dont have a .22 mag. I guess calling it a prarie dog was wrong, theyre actually marmots but I guess its the same difference.

ArrizX 01-29-2013 07:44 PM

Reading up it looks like the .17 more or less outperforms the .22 in everything but muzzle energy. I guess that is a good candidate.

ccrow175 01-29-2013 07:55 PM

Check out the new 17 winchester super magnum rimfire, it sounds amazing

dteed4094 01-29-2013 10:49 PM

Why noy buy a bolt in 223? A little much on chipmunks but you arent gonna eat them anyway. That way you only need one ammo.

Txhillbilly 01-30-2013 03:14 AM

+1 on a 223 bolt action.
The 17HMR and 204 don't like the wind,any wind will really effect the itty bitty bullets those calibers shoot.

I did shoot quite a few p-dogs with my 25/06 at long range,and it was fun watching them explode! There's no such thing as over-kill on varmints!!!!

Axxe55 01-30-2013 03:31 AM

i really like my Remington M700 in 204 Ruger, but i would also suggest a bolt action in 223 as well. lots of nice bolt actions chambered in it and you already have the ammo.

KimberFan 01-30-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1115808)
i really like my Remington M700 in 204 Ruger, but i would also suggest a bolt action in 223 as well. lots of nice bolt actions chambered in it and you already have the ammo.

I gotta agree on the 204...I have a M77 Hawkeye in that caliber and it's really a varmit popper.;)

kingrider 01-30-2013 04:02 AM

Im a big 204 ruger fan as well, it's a great little cartridge. Not the most fur friendly little round though. It makes a mess of anything smaller than a coyote.