Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Good target rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good target rifle?

Ok, I don't know much about rifles with that said I would like to
get a good rifle for only target shooting. I really like the looks of
the M4's, and have heard good things about the .223 round.

I don't want to spend over $800 for a target shooting gun.
Is there a good target rifle for under $500?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Try looking int to a savage bolt gun. They offer some highly accurate varmint rifles.

If you want an ar style You are going to spend $1000+ on one of them with a 22 or 24" bull barrel, flattop reciever and then some good glass $400 to $500 fo that.

The 223 is a very accurate round I have my remington 700VLS shooting .4" 5 shot 100 yards groups.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you want it for punching paper, the M4 isn't the best choice. If you want something that will cover all of your bases, the M4 will work, but there are still better rifles out there. $500-800 will buy you a decent bolt gun and scope, which will do almost everything better than an M4. If you just want an M4, buy it, but don't expect precision.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, any suggestions on a bolt gun?
names/models I can google?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

I don't know if they make them anymore, but I used to have a Savage Tactic 110 .308 that was awesome. It had a floating bull barrel and was dead on the money.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Thanks, any suggestions on a bolt gun?
names/models I can google?
Two come to mind pretty quick, Savage and Tikka.

http://www.savagearms.com/
http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_rifles_main.htm

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #7

Default Something to keep in mind!!!

I decided to pick a .223 last year. As I began to educate myself I learned there were all sorts of twist rates available - from 1:7 (usually on AR type stuff) up to 1:16.
The best thing you can do is ask yourself what you want to shoot and then let that dictate your bullet choice. Then you will know what twist rate you need to optimize accuracy in your .223.
A twist rate of 1:12 will stabilize a bullet up to somewhere in the 60 gr. range, but that is pushing it. This twist rate is optimal for 40-55 gr bullets.
A twist rate of 1:9 can stabilize a little heavier bullet - maybe up to near 75 gr. The AR type of guns, if memory serves correctly, typically come in 1:8 or 1:7 and will shoot (that is to say stabilize) the heaviest bullets available for the .223.
I decided I wanted my .223 for groundhogs, crows, and maybe the possible coyote. I would not need a bullet over 55 gr. for this type of use. A 1:12 twist would do the job for me. My search then lead me to a Remy 700 LVSF. I shoot 40 gr Black Hills V-Max and this combo is more accurate than me. I am not a marksman, but I have been able to consistently shoot sub MOA at 100 yards.
I know Savage makes their .223 rifles in 1:9 twist rates (again if memory serves me correct). This may be, may be, the better all around twist rate if you want to shoot bullets near the 70 gr. mark and still allow you to shoot 40gr. stuff too.
There is only one problem with shooting 40 gr. stuff in a 1:7 twist . . . there have been some reports of this combination of fast twist coupled with the light, fast 40 gr. bullets fragmenting before reaching a 50 yard target. I say "reports" as I have no personal experience with this combination of twist and bullet.
All of this just to say if you want a .223 consider what you intend to shoot, select a bullet, then ask yourself what twist you need to stabilize the round. I did know of someone who tried to shoot 70 something grain bullets in a 1:12 twist and was about to get rid of the gun because he thought he had a lemon as it would not group. When I told him what I had learned he tried a lighter bullet and started seeing the groups he was looking for.
Just thought I would share this as there is a lot more to consider in a .223 than a lot of other centefire cartridges if you ask yourself the right questions.
v/r
LG

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #8

Ahh... Get the M4! I just got a Bushmaster M4 from Cabela's for $880 plus tax and background check. I got the 16" ORC model which doesn't have any regular iron sights. They are "optic ready", which means you'd add a sight to it right away.

I added an EOTech 512 to the top and a set of Yankee Hill Machine handguards and flip up iron backup sights.

.223 isn't the cheapest round to shoot... But it's a blast none the less.

If you want a cheap range only gun, why not pickup a little 10/22? Cheap gun ($200 area) and cheap ammo.

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 03-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #9

If you want to use a 223 cartridge it makes a great target weapon. I prefer either a remington, savage or mauser action. I have a gunny where I live that will custom build you a 223 in a mauser short action, put a 22 caliber douglas XX barrel 1 in 8 twist on it, a bell and carlson synthetic stock, float it, bed it, blue it and guarantee it to shoot a 1/2 inch 5 shot group or he will buy it back. This would cost you about $550 and leave you some money for optics. There should be a gunsmith in your area that could do the same. With this barrel, ammo would have to be handloaded, but you would have an extremely good weapon for targets from 50 to 1000 yards. Ballistic coefficients and wind drifts on heavier 22 caliber bullets make them superior to the lighter 40 to 55 grain bullets. If you are going to buy ammunition over the counter a barrel in 1 in 12 could also be put on for shooting ammo from 40 to 60 grains. Its a cheap route to go. Personally I use a 220 Swift but everything is handloaded. Hope this helps

Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #10

Default i prefer the 22 Hornet

.my brother re-loads my ammo and that sweet caliber low recoil
sure makes for a good target round.

..I UPHOLD THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE-ARMS..