Good Starter Rifles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Good Starter Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'd start with a 22LR. Easy to feed, fun,

and while you're at the range, you may

see something which catches your fancy.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack0923 View Post
I am a fairly new gun owner so what are some good types of rifles to start with? I currently have a 9mm Springfield XDM 3.8 which I really enjoy shooting but I am interested in purchasing a rifle now. I have shot a few rifles before but I would just like some different opinions. Thanks for the posts.
IMO, the best starter rifle is a 22. You can do a lot of shooting for little money, and build some skill. You can shoot 22 LR for under $20 for 500 rounds, whereas 30-06 will run you $18-$25 or more for just 20 rounds. Meanwhile, at the range, you can see what other folks are shooting and start zeroing in on your next gun (yeah, there'll probably be more in your future once you get the bug).

There are a lot of 22's out there. First, do you want bolt action or semi-auto or maybe even a lever action? Are you interested in iron sights or a scope?

IMO, a good first rifle is a slow rifle, one that will allow you to work on technique. A bolt action 22 like a CZ 452 with iron sights is a great way to go. Is the bolt action too slow? If you decide to go with a semi-auto instead, the Ruger 10-22 is hugely popular for a good reason. Want to go somewhere in between the slow bolt action and fast semi-auto? Consider a lever action like the Browning 22 lever action with iron sights.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #13

Default Marlin 60 .22 cal. costs half of what the Ruger10/22 does...

...and Many/most Marlin fans will gladly shoot a stock mdl. 60 up against a stock 10/22 for half the $$. ( that ought to start a debate!lol)
Marlin 60 can be found used in excellent shape for $90-$120, or buy a new one for $130! If you want a center-fire Rifle, The options are as vast as your money.
even AFTER you buy a center-fire rifle, you can use the .22 rifles for learning technique and accuracy.
Some rifles offer "Switch-barrel" ability which enables you to use different caliber barrels on the same gun frame/stock. This option is starting to prove itself well.
as stated above: try shouldering as many styles as you can and something will stick just right for you. The suggestion of getting a .308 cal. rifle is appealing to many shooter as a great caliber. I have Milsurp and factory rifles and all of them shoot as intended. You are the best judge of what will work for you. There is no such thing as a Magic Gun for All needs. some come close! Good luck!