Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Good Starter Rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/good-starter-rifles-56024/)

zack0923 01-22-2012 05:37 AM

Good Starter Rifles

I am a fairly new gun owner so what are some good types of rifles to start with? I currently have a 9mm Springfield XDM 3.8 which I really enjoy shooting but I am interested in purchasing a rifle now. I have shot a few rifles before but I would just like some different opinions. Thanks for the posts.

Jpyle 01-22-2012 05:46 AM

A bit more information would help with the recommendations. What type of rifle are you thinking of...AR, AK, Mil-Surp, plinker, target, hunting, semi-auto, bolt action, etc? Do you have a specific caliber in mind? There are hundreds of rifle choices available, a bit more specificity will get you better opinions and not a long list of "name that rifle" type responses.

bigdaddy573 01-22-2012 06:00 AM

If its your first I recommend a bolt action in 308 so it fair in price to shoot plus easy on recoil but for the brand go to your gun shop and hold some different type tell u find the right one

Marlinman 01-22-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
If its your first I recommend a bolt action in 308 so it fair in price to shoot plus easy on recoil but for the brand go to your gun shop and hold some different type tell u find the right one

Hang on there big daddy before you go throwin out suggestions find out what the OP is wantin

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

bigdaddy573 01-22-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Hang on there big daddy before you go throwin out suggestions find out what the OP is wantin

Lol just throwing it out there

Marlinman 01-22-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol just throwing it out there

I know but im just tryin to give you some good advice on how to do things on here;)

bigdaddy573 01-22-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

I know but im just tryin to give you some good advice on how to do things on here;)

Lol alright

Marlinman 01-22-2012 06:44 AM

Delete your pm tyler.

mark1616 01-22-2012 07:34 AM

If you are new to firearm ownership, some of things you might consider when rifle shopping will be things like intended use, frequency of use, and cost. You have a variety of actions from single shot to bolt action to auto-loading, a variety of calibers from .22 to 30-06, a variety of weights and lengths and sights, etc etc.

If I were fairly new to rifles, I think I would begin with an auto-loading .22 such as a Ruger 10/22. Both the rifle and ammo are inexpensive and you can get a lot of range time in.

I hope that helps!

Axxe55 01-22-2012 08:10 AM

i am with JPyle, a little more info on intended use and what his needs or wants are would be helpful in making suggestions on types and calibers. saying i want to buy a rifle is like saying i want to buy a vehicle. there are so many different choices and types to consider when making a decision in what to buy.