Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > good Long range calibre?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default good Long range calibre?

G'day everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Remington 700 soon, and im planning on doing a fair bit of long range shooting such as in the 300-1000 yd range. The calibers ive been looking at are 7mm rem mag, 308 and 300 win mag. I understand both the magnums are good long range cartridges, and the 308 can be also, but i have had mixed opinions from people i know, so i thought i would see what you guys have to say as in regard with experience with the cartridges. One thing i have heard a lot of, is that the 300 win mag has considerable recoil, i have shot a 30-06 many times and find it quite reasonable, so i would also like to know how much of a step up the 300 is from the '06. Price of ammo is not really a concern to me either. Any help from you guys is much appreciated

cheers, matty

Proud to be a Sporting Shooter.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

well look in to some of the shorts like 300 WSM they have there +++\

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ammo availability is always a concern. 30-06 has served as a long range round for many years and through 2 World Wars. Camp Perry Service Rifle competetion is a good example. That being said, the new trend in AR type tactical rifles is to go to the 300 Win. Mag or 338 Lapua for extended range. The .308 is generally good to about 600 or so yds. I wouldn't want to shoot 300 Mags or .338 Lapua's all day though. I have a .308 DPMS AR that weighs almost 11 lbs. so recoil is like that of .223.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #4

Well just my opinion here but first off what are you shooting at at such extended ranges ?

If it is some kind of formal target competition I would think there will be rules you will have to follow .

If it is a big game animal , considering people regularly collect fine record book animals with Archery gear and you think you need to make a 400+ yard shot I think you need to become a better hunter .

The 30-06 , 270 , 308 , 7mm08 , 25-06 , and the list goes on and on are all capable of taking even Elk sized game at 300-400 Yards , me I think that's all you need .

Taking a chance on wounding a beautiful game animal and causing it a slow agonizing death just to impress your friends when you do manage to make a clean kill to me is just unconscionable .

Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I would first question what you are shooting at those distances. Competition? Game? Sport shooting on weekends?

Next I would question why a Remington 700? I did an action comparison a month or so ago and compared this action to a Winchester and Howa and I would personally go in another direction.

With a little more information, I feel that the forum peeps here can probably point you in the right direction, but this question is a little open ended for a definitive answer.

JD

Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Hey everyone,

Thankyou all for your comments, i most appreciate what you all have to say. As in regard to more info, i shall add that the rifle would be used for hunting, and i do not intend to hunt any game at those extended distances, i ment it more towards shooting at paper targets, for fun and personal satisfaction on weekends. And to Dillinger, i did read your post, and it was very interesting and enjoyable to read, and makes a very good point. All in all, just a good, accurate rifle to have fun with on weekends is all i need, any ideas of rifles along those lines would be great, im sure there are plenty.

cheers

Proud to be a Sporting Shooter.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #7

.300 win is a excellent long range round also .338 lapua is one really nasty round but these are expensive rounds you can also go .308 round but you will definitely need to have some special rounds to be hitting at 1000 yards

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Any of the rounds listed would do the trick, but some of them ( like the Lapua ) are extremely expensive for just shooting targets for "fun". You are talking several grand for a good rifle and good optics, not to mention the cost of ammo.

Currently there is widespread use of the 6.5 x 284 cartridge for thousand yard benchrest and "across the course" guns. I like the cartridge, it doesn't punish on recoil and it's terribly accurate once you get it dialed in. I don't know of too many manufacturers that are turning out stock sticks in that caliber though, and you would probably have to end up loading all your own brass.

7mm is a flat shooting cartridge that will easily reach out to 1000. I am currently having one built on a Lawton custom action & a Mike Rock 5R barrel that I expect to stretch my effective range substantially over my .308 Winchester. The FBI HRT team has moved over to this round in the past couple of years and haven't looked back.

.300 Win Mag is a great long range round, very flat shooting, but the thing packs a real punch for recoil, so I would recommend a good muzzle break and a great recoil pad to ease some of that force.

The .270 is an interesting cartridge, doesn't punish on recoil, is very common and can reach a grand pretty easily. I don't know a ton about the cartridge, but have seen several rifles built around it for long range shooting.

That's just off the top of my head, and I am sure there are a ton of opinions that will pop up here in the next few days.

Best of luck in your research and your future purchase. Look forward to seeing some photos and getting your after action report.

JD

Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to http://www.benchrest.com/forums and see what is winning the 1000 Yd shoots.

Last edited by tuck2; 05-09-2008 at 03:11 AM.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #10

With a .308 155 and 175 grain bullets will get you to 1000 yards. The .308 is also easy on the barrel, you will get 5000 rounds through a barrel, others have said they can get up to 10,000 rounds with good accurcy, magnums will be alot lower.
Check out 6mmbr, they have write ups on many long range rounds.