good first semi auto rifle? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

good first semi auto rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

after much thinking....
ive decided to get a bolt action then a semi auto.from what ive learned from a few of you is that i should get a bolt action because it teaches you to use ammo wisely.That being said i was looking at a few because im going shopping soon.
i looked at the mosin(id throw a scope on) or id save more and buy a mossberg trek in 30-06 with a scope.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #82

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I looked at the mosin(id throw a scope on) or I'd save more and buy a mossberg trek in 30-06 with a scope.
A word of caution, .... You don't "throw a scope" on a Mosin-Nagant. You take it to a gunsmith and have him drill and tap it for scope mounts and have him bend the bolt handle to clear the scope. The Mosin-Nagant was never intended to have a scope mounted on it.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #83

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
after much thinking....
ive decided to get a bolt action then a semi auto.from what ive learned from a few of you is that i should get a bolt action because it teaches you to use ammo wisely.That being said i was looking at a few because im going shopping soon.
i looked at the mosin(id throw a scope on) or id save more and buy a mossberg trek in 30-06 with a scope.
Teaches you to use your ammunition wisely? Huh? Who told you that?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #84
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Teaches you to use your ammunition wisely? Huh? Who told you that?
I've never quite understood that argument.

25 cents every time I pull the trigger... now that teaches me not to waste ammunition.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
MikeJK Likes This 
Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
yeah lol illinois sucks and good recommendation on the mosin ! i was thinking about it and then i was thinking to instead upgrade my 10/22 that i buy but now im probably just going to save a little extra and get a mosin 10/22 and the bolt kit thanks. where are u in illinois im in plainfield
Word your not to far from where I live which is Hoffman estates. Beast mode have you ever been to Gat guns ?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #86

hockalous and brolin both said that bolt actions teach you to use your ammo wisely

dabbson: no i have not. wheres it at?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #87

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
hockalous and brolin both said that bolt actions teach you to use your ammo wisely.
Well, it certainly encourages one to make that one shot in the chamber count.

A followup to my story about my seven-year old and "his" bolt gun embarrassing those sixteen-year olds and their more rapid-firing guns occurred some eight years later while I was in the process of moving from Nebraska to Missouri.

I was living in motels while house hunting in Missouri. I'd gone back to see the family over the Memorial Day weekend. Just as I was about to leave for the 500 mile trip back south, a friend called and invited me to go prairie dog shooting with him. When I declined, he asked if Stuart, my son, could go. I said sure, that he'd not gone hunting without me accompanying him but I had faith and if Fritz was willing to take him I didn't mind. Fritz had been hunting with us before and had no worries about Stuart's firearms safety and handling.

After my son enthusiastically said he wanted to go, he asked which rifle he could take. I told him he was welcome to take any rifle he wanted; I expected him to take my Winchester Mod 70 Varmint rifle in .222 Remington. He asked if he could take my AR-15 instead. I told him to take whatever he wanted to use.

A few days later, I called Fritz to ask how Stuart had done and behaved on the hunt. Fritz had only praise for Stuart/s firearms etiquette and marksmanship. But one of the proudest moments of my life was when Fritz said: "Stuart hit every 'dog he shot at: You know, there aren't many 15-year olds you can give an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine and trust to only pull the trigger on shots that are going to connect." That was 17 years ago and I'm still filled with pride for him.

A bit of a follow-up came maybe six years ago. He was (still is) in the Army and in Iraq. His platoon was on the rifle range, practicing on pop-up targets. Stuart was shooting his M-4 on semi-auto. His First Sergeant started yelling at him that he was supposed to shoot on full-auto. My son asked why. The First said so that he could be sure of hitting the target. My son asked what his score was. He told me that the First Sergeant shut up when it turned out that my son had more hits on target than the rest of his platoon put together. They'd been taught to spray-and-pray; he'd grown up with the Marine Rifleman's Creed, i.e., " ... My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HITů ."

http://www.usmc1.us/usmc-rifle-creed

Oh, yeah, he did serve 4 years in the Marines before going into the Army. In 2002 he was privileged to represent his unit in the Pacific Fleet Rifle Matches placing 40th out of 200 shooters.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #88

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
hockalous and brolin both said that bolt actions teach you to use your ammo wisely

dabbson: no i have not. wheres it at?
Well now you know who NOT to listen to.

"Use your ammo wisely." Sorry to be so blunt but that is retarded. If I'm at the range the wiseest way to use my ammuntion is by the truck load. The more you pull the trigger the better. You don't learn from kicking back at the bench drinking tea thinking about pulling the trigger.

Now if your laying in the dirt w/ no idea when you'll receive a resupply you should be smart about ammo consumption.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #89

brolin: greta story tell your son i said thank you for his service.what would you reccomend for a bolt action ive seen a few mossbergs in 308,30-06 and 300 winchester mag. i love the power in the magnums but i love the cost of the 308.

mikejk: why is it good to shoot as many rounds as you can without taking time to make each bullet count?If you use each round more wisely wont that help develope skill? i mean you cant go buy a 10000$ m16 and go deer hunting with it on full auto.(of course you can but then you gotta pick out all the lead and so on,that is if it was legal.). However what do you recommend?
However

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #90

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
brolin: greta story tell your son i said thank you for his service.what would you reccomend for a bolt action ive seen a few mossbergs in 308,30-06 and 300 winchester mag. i love the power in the magnums but i love the cost of the 308.
My first bolt-action centerfire was a 7.92x57mm Mauser that was quickly converted to .30-06 Springfield. That was in 1980 when .30-06 was popular and readily available. Today, I'd probably choose the .308 Winchester simply because you can find it sold just about anywhere ammo is available. It is, arguably, slightly more accurate than the .30-06. (Very arguably. I may have just started a war. <grin>)

As for the .300 Win. Mag., I know several people who've bought them, shot them very little, and traded them off for something that was more pleasant and cheaper to shoot.

The Mossbergs are good guns as are the Savage bolt-actions. And both can be found relatively affordably priced.

I would suggest that for a first centerfire caliber, however, you give serious consideration to the .243 Winchester. It has a relatively light recoil, is suitable for most game up to and including whitetail deer, and is accurate enough to use as a varmint rifle on anything from prairie dogs (talk about red mist!) to coyotes. At least here in southern Missouri, ammo in that caliber is at least as easy to find as .308 Winchester.

Here in southern Missouri, during the youth hunting seasons, one sees many photos in the local paper of young people aged 8 - 18 with the deer they harvested using a rifle chambered for the .243 cartridge. The second most popular rifle for that age category is probably the short-stocked SKS with it's 7.62x39mm cartridge.

Last edited by brolin_1911a1; 05-25-2012 at 09:18 PM.