Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > good first semi auto rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well said, HockaLouis.

Beast, the topic was what to get for a first semi-auto. Returning to that meme, you're going to want something that you'll enjoy and, hopefully, will become an heirloom. It's hard to explain to someone your age what "my first gun" will mean when you're older but take our word for it, you'll want something that you'll have fun with and cherish. You'll also want something that you can easily and affordably shoot LOTS and that will further your marksmanship skills for later guns. The .22LR rifles suggested will all fit that description.

Furthermore, if you have hopes of shooting into a berm or safe backstop in a suburban or semi-rural area, a .22LR has a report that is MUCH quieter than any of the centerfires that have been mentioned. Any neighbors are going to be much less perturbed by the pop!, pop!, pop! of a .22LR than they will if they hear the BLAM!, BLAM!, BLAM! of a centerfire coming from your backyard.

As for affordability, well, the .22LR will let a young man on a limited budget shoot a LOT more than any centerfire. At the moment, my local Wal*mart is selling .22LR for $21.96 per box of 535 or 550 rounds depending on the brand. The price for 7.62x39mm or .223 Remington, OTOH, will cost in the neighborhood of $8 / 20rds. If you're thinking pistol calibers, Winchester White Box 9mm right now is $24 / 100rds, .40S&W is $36/100, and .45ACP is $38 / 100.

In short, get the basic, utilitarian, traditional .22LR now and get in lots of target practice and small game hunting while you save up for a more exotic, heck lots of more exotic firearms later.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #72

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

ok thanks alot. I am now going to buy a 10/22. Along with my purchase what accesories do you guys recommend? bi-pod?scope/red dot?more mags?stock? ill probably be willing to spend 350$ or so on the whole 10/22 w/accessories and ill probably buy a used older one.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My advice would be to get to know it in its stock form, then you'll be able to figure out what, if any, changes you want to make or what additions you want to add to it.

My own 10/22, a 1984 model I purchased used around 1989, is almost completely stock. The only changes I've made to it were a modified bolt stop so that it will release the bolt automatically when the bolt is pulled back and released, and a set of FireSights because at my age (61) the original iron sights were simply too fine for me to see.

I recently gave my daughter a 10/22 and the only thing I did on it was add a 3-9x scope.

Visit http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php for more ideas on how to trick out a 10/22 than you ever dreamt of.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #74

ok thanks alot!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #75

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Beast, Brolin is right. KISS. In fact, I would avoid the scope for now and correct the only shortcoming I see of the 10/22 -- the trigger. That Volquartsen Hammer kit is about $35 delivered and improves the gun significantly. And, yes, you can get 50 and 100 yard targets as well as a coupla extra 10-rnd mags but it sounds like you're gonna find a Ruger 25 round one too -- don't just waste time and money burning thru ammo though.

And graduate High School already, would ya!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #76

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Beast, Brolin is right. KISS. In fact, I would avoid the scope for now and correct the only shortcoming I see of the 10/22 -- the trigger. That Volquartsen Hammer kit is about $35 delivered and improves the gun significantly. And, yes, you can get 50 and 100 yard targets as well as a coupla extra 10-rnd mags but it sounds like you're gonna find a Ruger 25 round one too -- don't just waste time and money burning thru ammo though.

Way back during the summer when my son was 7, I used to take him out on Sunday afternoons with a Remington 511P bolt-action and a brick of .22LR ammo. He'd spend the afternoon at the range shooting walnuts at 100' that I'd set on the railroad ties placed in front of the dirt backstop at the Wahoo (NE) Gun Club. He'd work that bolt and shoot the nuts like a machine -- bang! klik-klak, bang!, klik-klak... -- until out of ammo. And he'd always ask why I wouldn't let him shoot my Nylon 66 autoloader.

Then one afternoon in mid-October, a couple of older boys in their mid-teens showed up with their dads. The dads went over to the shotgun range and the boys came over to join us on the rifle range. One boy had a Marlin 39 lever gun, the other had a 10/22 with a 25rd. banana magazine. They asked if they could join us and I said sure, we've got plenty of targets.

I set two-dozen walnuts on the railroad tie, got back behind the firing line, and announced the range was clear and they could commence firing. I'd thought they'd take turns with the little guy. My mistake! It sounded like a firefight on my left as both boys burned through 45 rounds in what seemed like about five seconds. Then there was silence broken only by the sound of bang!, klik-klak, bang!, klik-klac, bang!, klik-klak, bang!, klik-klak, bang! as my son took down the last five walnuts. The two older boys looked at my son, at the targets, back at my son, and said, "Well, thanks. That was fun. We're going to go join our dads now" and left.

On the way home, I asked my son if he understood now why I wouldn't let him shoot the semi-auto. When he said he didn't, I asked, "How many of those walnuts did you shoot while those other boys were shooting?" He sounded a bit put out when he answered, "Ten." "How many did you miss?" "Well, none!" he responded sounding a bit insulted. "Right," I replied. "And how many did they miss?" He didn't know so I told him that between them, out of 45 shots, they'd hit only 14 of the targets.

"And that's why I only let you shoot the bolt-action," I told him. "I want you to learn to hit what you're aiming at with each shot rather than just blazing away and trying to walk them into the target." Numerous anecdotes he's shared with me since of his experiences in the military, including a tour in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan have proven the value of teaching him to shoot like that.

And, BTW, for his first rifle of his very own I gave him a Marlin 39 lever gun for his 13th Christmas.

Last edited by brolin_1911a1; 05-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #77

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Bro;
Great, thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #78

ok thanks ill get the 10/22 the bolt kit and a 10rd mag for now and only load 5 so i use my rounds more wisely

Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #79

For learning to shoot, and being able to shoot a lot, I don't know a way to beat the 22lr. I've got a decent collection of guns. I have an SKS like you were looking at, as well as an AK, and other Centerfire rifles (Centerfire is basically anything that is NOT 22LR, 22 Short/Long, 22 Mag, 17HMR, and 17Mach2, there are a few others but not as popular). Get a good quality 22LR, take care of it and you'll have it forever, and be able to afford to shoot it. My first gun was a Marlin 60, and I still cherish it today. If you're dead set on a semi-auto the 10/22 is a good gun and can do a lot of customization. You might take a look at the new variation, the 10/22 Takedown. That looks pretty neat. When you're looking at $0.03 to $0.04 a round compared to dirt cheap Centerfire rifle ammo at $0.15 to $0.17 a round. Simple math shows that you get 5 shots out of your 22 to the 1 you get out of your other rifle. As any good gun aficionado would say "Get both", however we don't always have the funds to get/shoot both. What you might consider IN ADDITION to the 10/22, is getting a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. It's a large caliber BOLT ACTION Centerfire military surplus rifle. You can find these all day for under $100.00 and you even get a bayonet! And surplus ammo you can get at 7 to 8 dollars (and that's a little high) for 20 rounds. That will scratch your itch for something bigger, gets you away from the spray and pray semi-auto, and they are cheap, but are good solid rifles. I have 4 of them. Hope this helps you a little.

I too am from the Illinois, and subjugated to the oppressive gun laws here.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #80

yeah lol illinois sucks and good recommendation on the mosin ! i was thinking about it and then i was thinking to instead upgrade my 10/22 that i buy but now im probably just going to save a little extra and get a mosin 10/22 and the bolt kit thanks. where are u in illinois im in plainfield