Good first gun.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Good first gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Good first gun.

Friend of mine had his house broken into the other night, walked to the stairs to a shotgun barrel stuck in his face, any way he decided to buy his first gun for home defense and other things down the road, as i said it is his first gun, he was looking into a semi auto .22 but due to price range i recomended a 8 shot maverick 12 gauge. Now he is a pretty big guy so im pretty sure he can handel a 12, and as far as bang for the buck its hard to beat and they are very versitile, the second reson is i wouldnt trust my life to a .22 to take out BG's, 3 in his case 2 armed with shotguns. Can any one recomend a cheap durable light to go on it, and does any one know if there are any .22 thats a colt m4 style or GSG-5 style for around $300? he signed up for the fourum yesterday so post your thoughts and he'll be around to introduce himself and read them, thx for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

To be honest, if he's new at the shooting sports, and doesn't carry concealed, buying a gun RIGHT AWAY might be a mistake. He should spend time in some good classes (for shooting and carrying). A shotgun in his closet that day might have turned into 3 shotguns in his face, ya know? And, he would have lost his investment to the theft. Also, just carrying a concealed weapon doesn't give you the mindset to use it, nor the sound judgement telling you when. My advice is let him try some guns out, see what he likes. At the same time take some classes, and see if obtaining a carry permit would be something he can handle. Bad S*#T seems to happen fast, and if you don't see it coming, a gun in your pocket might not help...... But, of course, I seem to learn something new every day, and could be completely wrong! Just my H.O.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #3

He isnt running out and buying a gun right away, he is gonna wait a few weeks and learn about fire arms and obtain skill with them, when he does buy a gun the two i mentioned are what he is going to get, thats why i asked for sugestions regaurding a fire arm recomendation. He also doesnt want to carry a conceled fire arm, its for only home def / target / hunting

Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Roger that... I agree with your choice. It's hard to beat the maverick/mossbergs for the money.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3017 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Mossberg or used Winchester 1200/1300. I prefer the Winnies WAY over the Mossys. By all means deter him from a non-shoulder stocked version of either. Pistol gripped shotguns look cool but most folks can't hit $hit with them. The recoil can be brutal. IMHO they are a specialized piece of ordnance that are best relegated to a back up to your rifle and strapped to your pack (for breaching, etc.)

I strongly recommend the "tactical" or " reduced recoil" buckshot loadings. They are much more comfortable to shoot and pattern VERY tightly. 2 legged vermin are not that difficult to dispatch with a shotgun at "across the room" distances, given decent aim. There is no need for 3" mags in an HD shotgun.

After he is comfortable with the manual of arms, take him skeet/trap shooting (informal handthrown targets). Get him confident enough to consistently hit these targets and an intruder is a piece of cake.

I have taught many hundreds of students on the "riot" shotgun. To me the key is placement of the butt stock. Put it high in the shoulder and draw it down and in. This will help dramatically with recoil management and sight picture. The most common sighting error is to hold the head too high. If you can see more than about 1/2" of barrel at the sight bead, you will hit high, way high. By putting the shotgun high in the shoulder it allows for a proper sight picture and accurate shooting. Because sloppy placement is common (especially in a high stress situation) I recommend aiming low, groin low. If you hit high, you are going to be effective. If you hit true to aim, you will still be effective. Hitting low is almost unheard of (except with the pistol grip only shotguns).

I can see I need to get the camera out and do a tutorial.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A 12 gauge is a great place to start when talking home defense. Here are some of my thoughts though. You say it will be his first gun, then I doubt this gun will see much use, training, practice, or hunting. Why spend $300? Hit the local pawn shops and look for a gun. Pump shotguns are generally easy to find and priced fairly low. I was in a local shop earlier this week that had Mossberg's at $200 and 870's running closer to $300. They all had some finish wear (stock or metal), but were more than ready to pull duty as a closet dwelling 12 gauge watch dog! With a afternoon of looking you could find the same in your area I'm sure.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
After he is comfortable with the manual of arms, take him skeet/trap shooting (informal handthrown targets). Get him confident enough to consistently hit these targets and an intruder is a piece of cake.
This will be hard as he lives in VA.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
A 12 gauge is a great place to start when talking home defense. Here are some of my thoughts though. You say it will be his first gun, then I doubt this gun will see much use, training, practice, or hunting. Why spend $300? Hit the local pawn shops and look for a gun. Pump shotguns are generally easy to find and priced fairly low. I was in a local shop earlier this week that had Mossberg's at $200 and 870's running closer to $300. They all had some finish wear (stock or metal), but were more than ready to pull duty as a closet dwelling 12 gauge watch dog! With a afternoon of looking you could find the same in your area I'm sure.
Man i wish i had your pawnshops, the cheapest 500 up here runs about 300 and for the rem tact, the cheapest i found was 620, your pawn shops are half the price of mine, but in his area a mavrick 88 runs about 180 to 200 new so.. no contest.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3017 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Cross Country Shotgun Training, that would be a trick.

Pawn shops inflate the prices and then have significant "wiggle room". If it does not move quickly, prices become much more negotiable. Most pawn shops around here have gotten out of the gun business entirely. Too many stolen ones I guess.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Cross Country Shotgun Training, that would be a trick.
Dont worry, ill get a really friggin big slingshot for the clays