was this a good deal??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > was this a good deal??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default was this a good deal??

So yesterday i was looking through the paper and seen that we were having a gun show this weekend in town so i decided that i should better go, just to make sure there wasn't any screaming deals out there.

I walk up to the very first table and this guy has a Weatherby Vanguard sub moa model in 223 rem in absolutely brand new condition... actually ill take that back "brand new"! This gun was purchased brand new in November of 2010, has been shot less then 50 times, the box for the gun and the scope, with the original stock and this fancy stock, a 3.5-10x50 apex scope on it with a harris bipod and a leather sling. I picked up this rifle and fell in love with it! The rifle had a tag on it for $625 which i thought was a STEAL! I looked at the guy behind the table and and asked what his lowest cash price would be. He thought about it for a minute and said $575. So i decided lets low ball this guy and see if he bits. I offered him $550 cash and he took it. I could believe it.

Here she is! Click on the pictures they will get larger!

dscf0250.jpg

dscf0251.jpg

dscf0254.jpg

dscf0256.jpg

Last edited by 500mag_guy; 03-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

It is always a good deal if you are happy with it. Now, for that price, you got a great deal, imo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2623 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

That is a nice rifle and a good price. MSRP on the Rifle alone is about $585.00 without the scope and the Harris Bi pod. And basically with the Rifle being as new you got a free scope, mounts and Bi Pod out of the deal.
The rifle is built for Weatherby by Howa which makes some very accurate rifles! Yes they are made in Japan but they are good quality products. And as stated they are known for their accuracy. Great Rifle! Enjoy!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post

That is a nice rifle and a good price. MSRP on the Rifle alone is about $585.00 without the scope and the Harris Bi pod. And basically with the Rifle being as new you got a free scope, mounts and Bi Pod out of the deal.
The rifle is built for Weatherby by Howa which makes some very accurate rifles! Yes they are made in Japan but they are good quality products. And as stated they are known for their accuracy. Great Rifle! Enjoy!

Are all weatherby rifles made in Japan.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just the Vanguard is made by Howa in Japan. Weatherby has had their MK-Vs actions made in various places over the years beginning in their home plant of South Gate CA. They also contracted with companies like J.P. Sauer and other European manufacturers over the years assembling the weapons in California. Today to my knowledge the Mk-Vs are made in Brainerd Minnesota. Nothing at all wrong with your Vanguard! You should be very happy with it and it's accuracy. Without looking I am not sure what barrel twist it has wich will have some bearing on what grain of bullet it may like best.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:

Just the Vanguard is made by Howa in Japan. Weatherby has had their MK-Vs actions made in various places over the years beginning in their home plant of South Gate CA. They also contracted with companies like J.P. Sauer and other European manufacturers over the years assembling the weapons in California. Today to my knowledge the Mk-Vs are made in Brainerd Minnesota. Nothing at all wrong with your Vanguard! You should be very happy with it and it's accuracy. Without looking I am not sure what barrel twist it has wich will have some bearing on what grain of bullet it may like best.

I was just on the weatherby website and the msrp for my gun is $1101!!

Vanguard® Sub-MOA Varmint | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You are correct. I forgot the fact that it was the SUB MOA Model and the Varmint all of that is a plus! SO you really got one H--l of a deal didn't you. I was thinking the standard model when I said that. Great Rifle!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:

it has a 1:12" twist. any recommendations on grain of bullet for long range meaning out to 500 600 yards.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:

You are correct. I forgot the fact that it was the SUB MOA Model and the Varmint all of that is a plus! SO you really got one H--l of a deal didn't you. I was thinking the standard model when I said that. Great Rifle!

boy o boy yes i did and i found the receipt for the scope in the scope box and he paid $259 for it!! this deal just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. lol im almost starting to feel bad hehe

Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #10

i just got back inside from shooting it and it is a sweet shooting rifle! the wind started blowing so i couldnt sight it in but it was nice to shot it!

Last edited by 500mag_guy; 03-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.