Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Good Deal????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Awsome score! Mauser is next on my list.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #12

This gun will likely go up for sale when I get it as I need to finish my 700 project. HS stock and custom bolt don't come cheap. As of right now, asking price is $850. Already been offered $650 by multiple people. It's pretty much the ultimate big game mauser imo. I don't hunt, so spending $80 for a box of decent ammo just isn't in the cards for me as I'm just a paper puncher. Pics will be up as soon as I get it home.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're not making sense. You stated that you bought the gun for $290 and you want $850 for it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You're not making sense. You stated that you bought the gun for $290 and you want $850 for it.

Reminds me of the "great" deals you see at the gun shows.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #15

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotzORemmies View Post
This gun will likely go up for sale when I get it as I need to finish my 700 project. HS stock and custom bolt don't come cheap. As of right now, asking price is $850. Already been offered $650 by multiple people. It's pretty much the ultimate big game mauser imo. I don't hunt, so spending $80 for a box of decent ammo just isn't in the cards for me as I'm just a paper puncher. Pics will be up as soon as I get it home.
I gotten that lucky a few times. Bought a Peruvian Mauser from a gunstore for $129. I knew nothing about old military rifles back then but it was a pretty gun. A few years later after I dound out what I had I sold it in Gunbroker for $900 IIRC to a dealer tha specializes in such animals. Hopefuly someone that collects miltary Mausers and will appreciate it ended up with a very nice gun.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I gotten that lucky a few times. Bought a Peruvian Mauser from a gunstore for $129. I knew nothing about old military rifles back then but it was a pretty gun. A few years later after I dound out what I had I sold it in Gunbroker for $900 IIRC to a dealer tha specializes in such animals. Hopefuly someone that collects miltary Mausers and will appreciate it ended up with a very nice gun.

Nothing is ever worth any more than someone is willing to pay for it.

Nothing worse than buying a gun for a high priice because it's "the" hot collectable at the time only to have it depreciate when the market gets flooded with them later.

Doesn't happen often in the gun trade but it does happen.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-20-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I can part it out and easily make triple the money I bought it for. I only bought it because it was just a great deal, I'm not even a huge fan of mausers. The guy had literally just put it on the shelf of his shop and was looking for info on the scope. I went home quickly, posted this up and did some research, and then quickly returned to buy it. Purely for investment purposes.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #18

OK. So I shot the K98 today. WOW. This thing is a total tack driver. slightly under minute of angle at 100 yards, multiple times. I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon. Shoots better than my 700 in every way, but I'll have to start reloading very soon, as decent ammo is $90 for a box of 20 (copper bullets...... comifornia).

When I cleaned it, there was an odd green substance that came out. Any help there? Did I destroy the value of the gun because of cleaning? hope not. Anyway around, I'm a very happy camper at the moment.

EDIT: Looking for camera now.... post pics soon!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #19

Green = copper. Probably hasn't been cleaned for some time, maje sure to get a good cleaning compound through that until it comes out looking like it went in, something that dissolves copper and lead would be best.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

It's normal and desirable to clean the copper bullet jacket fouling from the barrel when you clean it. That's the green stuff that you saw. Get an aggressive solvent that will completely clean all the fouling out, and clean properly until it's all out.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!