is this a good buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > is this a good buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default is this a good buy?

ive been looking for a decent deer rifle and unfortunately i'm definately on the low end as far as budget. i found a mossberg 100 atr in a 30-06 with a tasco scope for 250 it looks in good condition. the bolt moved a little sluggish but i think a good cleaning and oiling will fix that what you guys think? will i get a better rifle for the price? gun and rifle prices are a little above average in my part of the land. thanks for any help guys or girls if we have any here in the forum

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Take a look at this thread. We had this discussion on the same subject rifle, not to long ago. If it does not answer your question, let us know and we will try and fill in the blanks where needed.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mossberg-100atr-16675/

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #3

thanks that really helps as far as it sounds like it is a really good hunting rifle and i'm lucky since the one i was lookin to buy is the 30-06 seems to be the prefered caliber. but is this a really good price or is it average?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Average???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
thanks that really helps as far as it sounds like it is a really good hunting rifle and i'm lucky since the one i was lookin to buy is the 30-06 seems to be the prefered caliber. but is this a really good price or is it average?
84, for $250 it's a pretty good price, esp. if the Tasco is decent and will hold a zero. As noted, this is not a target gun-expect to shoot well enough for Deer hunting, NOT X-ring shooting. Find the loads it likes and get yourself a Deer.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #5

thanks buddy. thats the plan i hope it doesnt get sold before friday maybe i can even haggle and get it cheaper

Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's a good rifle for the price. I have one and have taken several deer with it. As mentioned, its a field rifle, it will take deer out to the effective range of a 30-06 but don't expect to win any competitions with it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #7

well my friends aren't into firearms or hunting so i couldn't really shoot anything before i bought it and since budget is a big concern my options were limited.

but i did it i bought my beauty today it is a used mossberg 100 atr in a 30-06 springfield with a nice 3-9x40 tasco scope that was drill and tap mounted to the rifle. i cleaned it and oiled it and the bolt slides like butter now. i'm happy with it. prolly going to the range next payday to zero in the scope and get the feel of it. i'm ready for deer season now. i sure can't wait. i'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. thanks guys for all your help it really helped me out alot. also i'll post some pics whenever deer season starts and i get my first buck

sorry for the double post i meant to put it on this thread but i put it on the other one first because i didn't see this one.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #8

oh and it also has a recoil absorber of whatever you call it at the end of the stock