good bugout gun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > good bugout gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default good bugout gun

This allways turns into a hot topic. So were we go again. What makes a good bug out gun. Befor we get into that topic I think we need to clear up what bug out means. I think bug out means getting out of harms way by foot. Know that we got that out of the way. We need to look at what you are going to need a fire arm for. First self defence, hungey and despret people are going to want you supplys or may just be plane crazy. Hunting, anything from small game to large game. Light wight. Rember it what we can carry on our backs. If I'm driveing out my hole arsunal is comeing with me And I'm adding anouther caaturgery cost, not everyone can afford a tricked out ar15 with a night vision scope. I this a combo or a rifle or shotgun and a hand gun is best for buging out. Personly I like comb guns like the springfield m6 scout or savage 23 or the new 42 410 over 22lr or 22 mag, pared with. Quility handgun chambered in a minum of 9mm. I know a lot of people are just cringing at the thaut of a single shot rifle and or low power rimfired ammo choice. But rember hunting is the main stay. And self defence is cover by the handgun. Your more likely to be hungry than you are likly to get into a running fire fight. Your bugging out. Not going into combat. Okay rimfired gun. Why not a 223 or 308 rifle or a 12gage pump. Putting aside the weight and size problem of luging a fullsize gun. Anyone evey shoot a rabbit with a 308. You can't eat rabbit pureay. Wights and storage also appplys with calibor and gun choice. You can carry a lot of rimfired ammo and still leave room in you backpack for other little things like food water and clothingso. What's are your choices. Like I said befor. I have a ruger 1022 and a keltec p11 9mm. Ready to go. And a savage 42 on my list for santa. Do you aggre dis aggrey with concept of use, choice or both

Last edited by robertusa123; 09-10-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: gramer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
If I'm driveing out my hole arsunal is comeing with me
Not enough room in the SUV for that and the family (LOL). Guess I have to leave the family behind (LOLOL)

My opinion would be a bit different than yours. (yes I have a 10/22) I would think self defense would be the primary use for a firearm. And I do not like the idea of eating tree rats so the smallest animal would be a bunny rabbit, deer would be perferable. The best use of your energy is setting snares to trap small game, not running all over the woods to shoot them, besides it saves ammo that way.

So back to the question, I have a cheap light weight AR and that would be my choice along with a good hunting knife and sidearm. I also have a number of light weight throwing knives that would end up as the tip of a number of spears. (more than one way to skin a cat)

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 09-10-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7681 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 7392

a Colt LE6920 or LE6940 (M-4 type) preferably with an ACOG, Aimpoimt or EOTech. all you need!

7 mags, and 210 rounds (basic load out) Leave the pistol home and carry an extra canteen in that space.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”[IMG] Admiral Bull Halsey

Stop the population explosion. Make war, not love :D

Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4368

You're assuming that bugging out and going to combat are not the same thing. I honestly don't know if the primary purpose of a weapon would self defense or hunting? I'm guessing it would be both combat and hunting. So I want to be prepared for both and for me that would be my mini14. If I ever found a really good semi auto in .22mag I might go that route, but for now it's the mini.

And there's no way I'm depending on a pistol for self defense unless I have absolutely no other options.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1579 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Robert; I am not normally a grammar NAZI but I don't think you have 10 words spelled correctly.
My choice would be a suppressed Ruger 22/45 Lite 22LR pistol with a red dot optic. Most of the standard high velocity ammunition wont be over 1050 fps in a pistol. Stingers and similar will be over 1050 and cause a sonic crack. A rifle would require the use of sub-sonic ammunition. You want to be as quiet as possible.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10557 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Robert- someone wants to talk with you......

spelling-police.jpg

All of you folks that are bugging out, please drop me a postcard, let me know how that works for you. Me, I'm staying where I am. It is warm, dry, we have cookies and great fields of fire.

If I have to be wandering around somewhere, AR and a Ruger .22 pistol (says SHHH!!!)

Old 09-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #7

Liked 65 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Too bad spell check dosent work on my phone. I also think yoU bugout gun choice depends on where your starting bug out from. If you need to leave longisland and go thure nyc. I aggree a ar15 style weapon would be nice. But I'm allready in the country. Blue ridge mountains central va. So sourvial is more of a priority use. And for dear man. I've done a lot of backpacking. You see lots of little critters on the trail. Compared to the occional deer you may find. When you haven't eaten in days. You will become a lot less pickey on what looks good for dinner.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm staying where I am. It is warm, dry, we have cookies and great fields of fire.
c3 if you have to bug out it is usually due to water. Too much in the streets or too little at the sink or both.

Cookies sound good, but I have to have my coffee in the morning.

Jim

Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10557 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Robert- If I were moving anywhere, it would likely be TOWARDS where you already ARE. Although I do have the keys to a cabin down in Grayson County. And have spent many an evening at the Brown's Mt shelter on the AT, just south of Rt 60- beautiful country there.

And yes, water can MAKE you move. If the flood waters get up the hill where our place is, there is an old man with a white beard putting animals 2 by two in a big boat. At the sink- we have two wells. Deepest has about 90 ft of water- we are near 4 good sized lake.

Long half life nuclear contamination would prompt us to move (short- 15 days or so- see you when we come up) Relatively safe from forest fires, tucked away from people trouble, not downwind of anything major (couple of nuke plants, but they are 30 miles, pretty much downwind from us).

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #10

Quote:
And yes, water can MAKE you move. If the flood waters get up the hill where our place is, there is an old man with a white beard putting animals 2 by two in a big boat
LOL, save me a spot on the boat. I live in the low lands. Problem with wells is that the flood waters will drain into the well and ruin the water supply.

Stay safe.
Jim