Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > good 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default good 30-06

What would be a good 30-06 for around the $350 price been looking at sum marlins but Idk any input

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20046 Times on 11399 Posts
Likes Given: 50572

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1984 View Post
What would be a good 30-06 for around the $350 price been looking at sum marlins but Idk any input
the Marlin X7 series of rifles are some of the best in this price range and are every bit as good as rifles costing twice as much. the fit and finish is good, accuracy is excellent and with the price, it allows you to spend more on better optics if on a budget. the 30-06 itself is an excellent choice of caliber and will always be one of my favorites. you can never go wrong with this choice of caliber.

i have three different Marlin X7's, an XS7 in 7mm-08, an XL7 in 25-06, and an XS7VH in 308. all are very accurate and are very easy on the shoulder in regards to recoil. the choice of the XL7 in 30-06 would be a very good choice and one i would recommend. it would be a good rifle for hunting or casual target shooting. i don't think you could go wrong with the Marlin in 30-06 at all.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the Marlin X7 series of rifles are some of the best in this price range and are every bit as good as rifles costing twice as much. the fit and finish is good, accuracy is excellent and with the price, it allows you to spend more on better optics if on a budget. the 30-06 itself is an excellent choice of caliber and will always be one of my favorites. you can never go wrong with this choice of caliber.

i have three different Marlin X7's, an XS7 in 7mm-08, an XL7 in 25-06, and an XS7VH in 308. all are very accurate and are very easy on the shoulder in regards to recoil. the choice of the XL7 in 30-06 would be a very good choice and one i would recommend. it would be a good rifle for hunting or casual target shooting. i don't think you could go wrong with the Marlin in 30-06 at all.
+10 i have EVERY x7 out to date includin a prototype 7mm mag. They are the best value rifle out there IMHO

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #4

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

The Ruger American Rifle. New out from Ruger. Been well received. Very well thought out ergonomically. It's light too. So if you need to huff it, you're saving yourself some weight.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I know the guys at Shooting Times liked the new Ruger American, but I hated it. It just felt cheap. Other than the barreled action it was all plastic. Lite rifles kick a lot harder too.

Look into the Howa line. Cheap, accurate, and the recoil isn't bad. 24" barrel, Hogue over mould stock, a quality gun at a great price.

If Howa is good enough for Weatherby... I'm just saying...

Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
+10 i have EVERY x7 out to date includin a prototype 7mm mag. They are the best value rifle out there IMHO

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
How is the bolt on these? I have a Lee Enfield so I'm spoiled and hate a sticky bolt and one that can't be cycled lightening fast.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20046 Times on 11399 Posts
Likes Given: 50572

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
How is the bolt on these? I have a Lee Enfield so I'm spoiled and hate a sticky bolt and one that can't be cycled lightening fast.
bolts are very smooth and can be cycled quickly. also they are fluted and have been shrouded. adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stocks and Marlins Micro Grooved barrels, which adds up to a very accurate out of the box rifle.

a person wants a no frills, no nonsense rifle, that is well constructed, accurate and doesn't cost a small fortune to buy, this is the one.

several years ago, i wanted another rifle chambered in 30-06, i bought a Remington M770, was i disappointed. sold it very shortly afterwards and then bought a used Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06, well it was much better, but kicked harder than any 30-06 i have ever owned, but it was very accurate. well a few years ago i was in my LGS looking around for another 30-06, but found the Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, and i had been looking for a rifle chambered in 7mm-08 at a decent price for several years so i bought it. paid about $360 for it and boy was i happy with it after shooting it. then a couple of months later, bought a XL7 in 25-06, and was very pleased with it also. then ordered a XS7VH in 308 later on, and have been very pleased with it also. had planned on adding a XL7 in 30-06, but a used Remington M700 came up that i had to have. i still have plans on a XS7 in 243 and a XS7VH in 22-250 for the next ones. i bought the Marlin based on reputation and the price, but purchased the next ones based on previous performance of the first one. if you buy one, i don't think you will be disappointed, i know i haven't been.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have one each of the Marlin XL and XS rifles. Own a couple of the Stevens 200s and an Axis. I've handled the new Ruger American rifle in a store. It seems to have potential for being a decent low priced rifle. The Ruger I handled was a 30-06, a cartridge I have already in 4 rifles, so I'm waiting for an American in another cartridge to become available in my area. Might buy one of them to try the American. Anyway, nothing wrong with the Marlin rifle. Think you'll like the smoothness of the Marlin bolt. Decent adjustable trigger in the Marlin. Think they are a better rifle than my Stevens or Axis. My first Marlin was accurate right out of the box. The second, while not as accurate out of the box as my first rifle, has become quite accurate after 60 or so rounds and playing with various reloads.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #9

I think I'm gonna go with the Marlin X7 found a used one in great condition at my local gander mountain for $260

Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Marlin or Mossberg would be a good choice. Sometime people frown when you mention Mossberg! But the truth is Mossberg has been making rifle barrels for some other companies in the industry for some time. One of those hush hush deals that is very common in the weapons industry! So quality of how they shoot is not an issue. They shoot great for hunting rifles! And they as the Marlins are very reasonable! Good guns for the money!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy