Good 243 deer rifle? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Good 243 deer rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I have killed a truck load of deer with a 22LR but that doesn't make it the best deer rifle. I would look for something that is going to create a decent blood trail, like a 308 or larger.
That's illegal in a bunch of states... Well at least it is here in NYS..
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #32

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post

That was a BS post! Ignore it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #33

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That was a BS post! Ignore it.
Yup, the steers I have whacked with a 22LR were BS too. I wasn't raised on concrete. If my Grandfather wanted to butcher a steer I did as I was told.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #34

Heck yeah I have seen many steers and deer go down to 22lr just depends on shot placement.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #35

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
It's illegal to hunt deer with anything smaller than 24 cal in NC. But if no one complains the game warden doesn't care. A game warden told me that he has found a sporting use for tactical nukes (controlling wild hog and deer populations).

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #36

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Yup, the steers I have whacked with a 22LR were BS too. I wasn't raised on concrete. If my Grandfather wanted to butcher a steer I did as I was told.

We were talking Deer, not steer! So if I trace your URL and give your address to F&G for shooting Whitetail w/ a .22, that would be ok?? Full of Sh!t!!!! If you want to be a moron, don't do it here. If you claim to have done something illegal, I'll be happy to make sure to forward your admission to the proper authorities. Can't cure STUPID!!! BTW, since you have wacked whitetail w/ a .22lr, why do you suggest .308 or larger?? Make sure brain is engaged before hands attempt to type!!!!

"Old_Crow I have killed a truck load of deer with a 22LR but that doesn't make it the best deer rifle. I would look for something that is going to create a decent blood trail, like a 308 or larger."

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #37

The deer I have seen taken with 22lr have got the person in trouble, but I saying it can be done. In Oklahoma you can use 22-250s, and 223s for deer hunting but only 5 round mags