Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Good .243? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/good-243-a-90553/)

sctimber97 05-12-2013 02:25 PM

Good .243?
 
I'm thinking about getting a .243 but wasn't real sure on who makes a good one. I will be using it at ranges from 100-300 for yotes, varmints and maybe for deer. But primarily for varmint. Any advice will a great help! Thanks!

tomgodd 05-12-2013 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought my son a Remington model700 youth in 243 a few years ago. He shoots good with it. The scope is cheap but it came with it.

Attachment 100661

You can buy it I'm a full size which has a longer stock and barrel. The fit and finish is good. Remmy gets bashed alot. I see no problems with it.

cottontop 05-12-2013 02:47 PM

How much did you want to spend?
ct

DavidB 05-12-2013 03:50 PM

A tikka t3 ultra light. It's my go to gun for hunting. Great quality and accuracy

blucoondawg 05-12-2013 04:00 PM

Any of the big name manufacturers make a good quality accurate rifle, look at them all with all their features and pick the one you like in the price range you are looking for. My choices would go in this order Remington 700 or one of Savage's offerings, then Ruger then Marlin, depending on what I want to spend. The Winchesters are very good but gonna cost more than the lower end models of the other manufacturers. I wouldn't even consider any of the value bolt actions but that is just my opinion, if I am going to fork over cash for a rifle I want a nice looking, sturdy, accurate piece that I will pass on to my kids and they don't cost that much more. The Marlin is affordable and still good quality, and many like the Savage Axis performance but it is not for me. One I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole is the Mossberg rifle, I have read mixed reviews, some say it is accurate enough to hunt with and functions ok, but to me that is not good enough, though I don't know if they even have a 243 in that line.

simpkinst 05-12-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg
Any of the big name manufacturers make a good quality accurate rifle, look at them all with all their features and pick the one you like in the price range you are looking for. My choices would go in this order Remington 700 or one of Savage's offerings, then Ruger then Marlin, depending on what I want to spend. The Winchesters are very good but gonna cost more than the lower end models of the other manufacturers. I wouldn't even consider any of the value bolt actions but that is just my opinion, if I am going to fork over cash for a rifle I want a nice looking, sturdy, accurate piece that I will pass on to my kids and they don't cost that much more. The Marlin is affordable and still good quality, and many like the Savage Axis performance but it is not for me. One I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole is the Mossberg rifle, I have read mixed reviews, some say it is accurate enough to hunt with and functions ok, but to me that is not good enough, though I don't know if they even have a 243 in that line.

I had very poor results out of a Remington 700 BDL I recently purchased. I think big green has some issues these days. I would not hesitate to purchase a used Remington, as long as it was made prior to 2006.

I would also put the Thompson Center Icon or Venture above the Savage, Marlin, or Ruger.

I have no idea why the T/C rifles don't get the love as others do here. The are very fine rifles. I don't know of any that owned one that has had any regrets or wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

blucoondawg 05-12-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinst (Post 1244481)
I had very poor results out of a Remington 700 BDL I recently purchased. I think big green has some issues these days. I would not hesitate to purchase a used Remington, as long as it was made prior to 2006.

I would also put the Thompson Center Icon or Venture above the Savage, Marlin, or Ruger.

I have no idea why the T/C rifles don't get the love as others do here. The are very fine rifles. I don't know of any that owned one that has had any regrets or wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

I am not going to buy into the whole "Remington has gone garbage" internet talk until I or someone I know personally has an issue, so far we haven't, so I still put them on top of my list with Savage an equal to close second. I have nothing against TC I have an Encore, no bolt action rifles from them yet. I'd assume not much is mentioned from them simply because they aren't as popular, and they can be pricey, I like the Encore but I think it is overpriced for what it is.

Salvo 05-12-2013 06:21 PM

A fellow I met here in West Texas had the bolt handle come off of his Remington.

That's pretty radical. - I could only recommend that he send it back to Remington, I wouldn't touch one of those things with a ten-foot pole.

simpkinst 05-12-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg

I am not going to buy into the whole "Remington has gone garbage" internet talk until I or someone I know personally has an issue, so far we haven't, so I still put them on top of my list with Savage an equal to close second. I have nothing against TC I have an Encore, no bolt action rifles from them yet. I'd assume not much is mentioned from them simply because they aren't as popular, and they can be pricey, I like the Encore but I think it is overpriced for what it is.

I paid $500 for the venture new out the door. Not pricey at all. The Icon is more than that.

And the 700BDL would not group better than six inches at 100 yards, even with a trigger job, bedded stock, and hand loads. I had to send it back to the factory twice to repair the mag release.

I am personally finished with Remington. The T/C is superior in every way and cost $200 less than the Remington. $600 If you include all the extra I spent trying to get that POS to shoot.

hockeyjr1 05-12-2013 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've had a tc venture, just sold it.. Did I like it? No i loved it.. Thing was sooooooo accurate. So u may ask y did I sell? To get the tc dimension.. So worth the extra money. Look it up.

I got it in 30-06 but there are 10 different calibers you can get and interchange new ones depending on the family of parts.. It cost me 604.99 at my LGS. Here's a pic of both the rifle and my first range trip with crappy ammo and I rushed myself sighting in.

I never knew about tc till I saw a commercial for them.. So happy I did!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.