Go easy on me - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Go easy on me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Model 500 Mossberg 12 ga. perhaps.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The AR has been classed by some experts as the best HD weapon with the shotgun 2nd and the handgun 3rd. Handgun rounds penetrate walls more than 00 buckshot while in tests the 55 grn NATO round will keyhole after passing through 1 wall = 2 layers of sheetrock dropping its penetration drastically. The 7.62x39 will penetrate at least as much as or more the pistol rounds. The AR is also easier to mount a light or even a laser and is harder to take away than a handgun. The light is more important than the laser.
I keep a mag in my AR and a light on it. It is my go to if I have the time. I always have a handgun handy in case I dont have the time.
I also have a 12 gauge pump. The 1st 2 up in my 12 gauge are #4 buck which is about .23 caliber. I will not load bird shot as it is prone to superficial wounds which may not stop a drugged up BG. I will grab the AR before the shotgun. I have the shotgun in a different location than the AR so I have 2 directions to go during the day. During the day I am usually carrying a G36.
At night I keep the G36 on the night stand is to get me armed with a no screw up weapon while waking up enough to get to and operate my AR. You may not be awake enough or calm enough to take off the safety or rack a shotgun if a BG smashes into your bedroom at 2 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #13

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
The AR has been classed by some experts as the best HD weapon with the shotgun 2nd and the handgun 3rd. Handgun rounds penetrate walls more than 00 buckshot while in tests the 55 grn NATO round will keyhole after passing through 1 wall = 2 layers of sheetrock dropping its penetration drastically. The 7.62x39 will penetrate at least as much as or more the pistol rounds. The AR is also easier to mount a light or even a laser and is harder to take away than a handgun. The light is more important than the laser.
I keep a mag in my AR and a light on it. It is my go to if I have the time. I always have a handgun handy in case I dont have the time.
I also have a 12 gauge pump. The 1st 2 up in my 12 gauge are #4 buck which is about .23 caliber. I will not load bird shot as it is prone to superficial wounds which may not stop a drugged up BG. I will grab the AR before the shotgun. I have the shotgun in a different location than the AR so I have 2 directions to go during the day. During the day I am usually carrying a G36.
At night I keep the G36 on the night stand is to get me armed with a no screw up weapon while waking up enough to get to and operate my AR. You may not be awake enough or calm enough to take off the safety or rack a shotgun if a BG smashes into your bedroom at 2 AM.

While I have been unimpressed with the AR most of my life,im not buying that anyone worth their salt would recommend it as a home defense weapon,and citing the that the 5.56 wont overpentrate after hitting drywall as the reason why. I could see any rifle serving as a PROPERTY defense weapon in rural areas,but in a home thats in a neighborhood I would rather take my chances empty handed against a home invader than touch off any large rifle caliber. Not trying to call you out or anything,just saying I don't think a rifle serves well for home defense. Also a long gun is way easier to take away from someone than a handgun any day of the week and twice on Sundays,anyone with any advanced military training or training in a martial art that includes firearm defense training can tell you that.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #14

Intersting guys. I suppose it depends on your definition of defense, but...

I would clearly rank a shotgun as the most effective close-in defense arm. There hasn't been any real debate about this for more than 150 YEARS! I'm talking in and around your house ranges -- say through 15 yards up to 30 with the right ammo (i.e. at least #4 or #1 buckshot).

And the right handgun has benefits that make it preferable over a rifle too IMO.

Yeah, I might want a carbine if it was my only gun, and I'd want one anyway, but not over the others for HD.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Model 500 Mossberg 12 ga. perhaps.
I have been looking at the 500 Mossberg; didnt know they were that affordable. I think thats my HD weapon of choice.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #16

Glock;
Mossberg has the most reliable, ergonomic, and highest common firepower for too low a price out of the box. They offer a very popular combo set (Field/Security Combo?) that will give you the 18-1/2" Open Cylinder barrel you want for HD as well as a nifty 28" ribbed screw-in-choke barrel that is good for pretty much everything else.

Take a look at the even more compelling set (check the local chain sports and BoxMarts) -- I think you've found your gun!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default home defense rifle

The best all around home defense rifle imo would be a marlin 30-30 in the short trapper configuration .Loaded with 150 grn winchester hollow point power max ...this being said for ease of use ,dependable ,familiarity and ease of use buy others in your household. Cost effective as used ones are usually in great shape for 200.00 ...can be used for hunting deer ,hogs ,black bear ..dispatch sick ,lame ,wounded livestock. Scope it with over /under rings for iron sight use ..probably the most versatile but underated weapon of all time,because of black gun fever and ak flu . lol

Last edited by powg; 03-08-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: punct

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #18

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Go with the short barrel shotty, Remington 870 is my go to HD weapon, but won't talk down the mossberg either. 12 gauges are simply point and fire, will stop a threat at any distance in my home, from just inside a doorway to down the hall clear into the kitchen. And you don't have to be a sharpshooter, which in the heat of the moment may just mean the difference.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 921 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

OR, if he really really must have an AR or AK for HD, a mag loaded with frangible ammo would work.

Winchester, Cor Bon, MagSafe, Glaser....

However, I think a nice pump 12g is better. You rack it so the BG can here it, but not see you, he'll know what's gonna have him for a snack. I have a Mossberg 500, I really like it. I have heard many good things about the Remington 870.

Better advice... if there is a place you can rent these and shoot them, try that. How it feels in the store can be a world of difference when you actually shoot it.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere