Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Go easy on me (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/go-easy-me-59353/)

Glockpotion23 03-03-2012 06:58 PM

Go easy on me

Every since ive been into guns, i always prefer pistols. I am starting to look more and more at rifles. I am lookin to have one strickly for HD. I like the both the AK-47's and the AR-15's. Which one do i need and, how much should i expect to pay for a nice one? Are there manufacturers i need to stay away from? Any advice would be helpful:).

HockaLouis 03-03-2012 07:36 PM

The AK's are "inexpensive" really big pistols. The AR is a rifle. I see a decent AR carbine in your future. The fellas will start telling you about which are the best bangers for the money these days...

clr8ter 03-03-2012 07:43 PM

Why wouldn't you stick with a pistol for HD? Unless you live in a warehouse? I think AR's will run you more, although I hear AK's are NOT cheap anymore. Check out the AR section.

hmh 03-03-2012 07:47 PM

For hd I go with a 12 Remington 870.

unclebear 03-03-2012 07:48 PM

go to a gun shop and hold an AR and AK which ever one feels better to you look into it, AR can be pretty damn expensive AK's are usually around $400-$500. You have more options with an AR but then again you might be dropping anywhere from $800+, there are options for AK's but not as many as AR.

primer1 03-03-2012 07:50 PM

Get what feels right, go handle some at a show or gun shop. A shotgun is better for hd imo, but a rifle can serve many purposes. Also consider a rifle or carbine in pistol caliber: no recoil and cheap ammo, and smaller than many rifles.

texaswoodworker 03-03-2012 07:59 PM

Rifles tend to not be the best gun for HD due to overpenetration. If you live away from other people (no one else in the house too) this is not that big of a problem. You did pick probably the 2 best rifles for HD though.
The AK offers rugged dependability, with a round that has more punch then the .223. They are awesome guns, and tend to not be picky about what you put through them.
The AR offers a easily customized platform that has proven itself. They do have to be really clean to ensure that they always go bang.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both the 7.62x39mm and the .223 are man stopping rounds (though, you might have trouble finding hollow point 7.62 locally depending on where you live). The AK is usually half the price of the AR. I would do what unclebear and primer1 said and hold both of them first to see what you are comfortable with.

PS. They both shoot cheap ammo, and are a blast at the range. :D

Personally, I would go with a 12 ga for HD (My fav is the 870). Look at the Saiga 12 ga. It is a 12 ga AK!!!

willshoum 03-03-2012 08:04 PM

The Big Easy.......

Ain't gonna do it......Keep your pistol at your bed side, and a 12 gauge loaded with buck shot as a man stopper...... You dont have to be a good shot when it comes to a shot gun........:)

Chainfire 03-03-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmh (Post 727694)
For hd I go with a 12 Remington 870.

Agreed!

You won't have to worry about shooting your neighbors kid in the house next door from the over penetration and the stopping power is even better than the .223.

If you want a semi-auto rifle just for fun, shoot them both then choose the one you like and are willing to pay for.

Glockpotion23 03-03-2012 09:40 PM

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and input. I didnt consider a shotgun till now:)