Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Glueing on Rifle Sights? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/glueing-rifle-sights-90762/)

matt91152 05-16-2013 01:07 AM

Glueing on Rifle Sights?

So I know it sounds like a bad thing to do, but I'm curious. I am a Student Gunsmith and i have been thinking about different ways to attach sights. I prefer using silver solder but I am wondering if there is a glue or epoxy that would be suitable. I know front sights are glued onto shotguns sometimes with Black Max, but could it hold up on a rifle? I have a sporterized 1917 Enfield in 30/06 that I like to use for experimenting. So does anyone have any input or suggestions?

cottontop 05-16-2013 02:49 AM

Red Green uses duct tape. Why don't you try that?
ct

Rick1967 05-16-2013 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1248288)
Red Green uses duct tape. Why don't you try that?
ct

Oh, now that was helpful.

But seriously, I am interested in what other might offer for advise.

JonM 05-16-2013 03:23 AM

you would have to have something that isnt heat sensitive. heat breaks down most glues and epoxies that are readily available. then you have the chemical problem when you start cleaning with solvents.

there is a reason sights are attached via dovetail type cuts or screwed in or are part of a barrel band or sight base assembly

gunnut07 05-16-2013 10:39 AM

The problem is over time it will break down. Then you add recoil to the mix and if you glue sights on a gun they will come off. Rear sights should be held on my screws and front sights should be held on with silver solder.

c3shooter 05-16-2013 11:45 AM

The issue is not simply recoil. but the high frequency vibrations that run thru a barrel when you fire. As they hit the glue, density of material changes. Speed of that wave is a function of density (denser, faster). Wave gets reflected back on reaching the lighter material, meets second wave coming out, starts breaking epoxy.

Will it work? Yeah. For a while. Then your sight falls off on the ground.

mountainman13 05-16-2013 12:22 PM

If you're looking to experiment, you could try jb weld.

cottontop 05-16-2013 04:16 PM

sights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1248294)
Oh, now that was helpful.

But seriously, I am interested in what other might offer for advise.

I know it wasn't directly helpful, but indirectly it was. What I meant was, gluing will not work. Go some other more permanent route that others have suggested. It was pretty funny though.
ct

matt91152 05-16-2013 09:08 PM

I have been told that JB Weld could withstand the heat and vibrations of firing a rifle. Although I am uncertain what the cleaning solvents I use would do to it. No one seems to know exactly how long it will last, but a few optimists said it could last as long as the rifle if done right.

Salvo 05-17-2013 02:57 AM

Try it with a really inexpensive sight. That way, when it falls off you haven't lost much.

I would advise against ever doing it on a customers gun though, on the assumption that as a gunsmith, you would like to have customers.