Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gift rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gift rifle

Hello. I've recently gotten into shooting guns but I usually shoot shotguns or pistols. I'm looking to get my girlfriend a rifle as a gift but unsure of what kind. We plan to hunt deer with it mainly and target practice. It should be relatively cheap, easy to use rifle for beginners. I was thinking maybe a 30-30 or 30-6. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

While it is NOT for deer hunting, strongly feel a first rifle should be a .22- no recoil, and you will shoot a LOT more.

A lever action 30-30, like a Marlin 336 is a good deer rifle, pricey to shoot, and not a target rifle.

A 30-06 bolt action is simple, more than enough power for deer, capable of great target accuracy, but a lot of recoil for a new shooter/small person.

.308 will meet power and accuracy requirements, be a lot less pricey to shoot, possibly less recoil than 30-06. .243 lighter recoil yet, decent power and accuracy- as is a 7mm-08.

Real question, tho- does she shoot now? What does she shoot- and what does she like?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter11 View Post
Hello. I've recently gotten into shooting guns but I usually shoot shotguns or pistols. I'm looking to get my girlfriend a rifle as a gift but unsure of what kind. We plan to hunt deer with it mainly and target practice. It should be relatively cheap, easy to use rifle for beginners. I was thinking maybe a 30-30 or 30-6. Any suggestions?
IMO- look at a .243. If deer hunting is the specific purpose...this is a common caliber here in WV. Not punishong in terms of recoil and fairly accurate. I know this is not a commonly mentioned caliber here..but certainly worth looking into. Ammo availsbility is not terrible here right now either. I do agree though...that a .22 is important as well to learn the basics with. I cannot tell you the number of times shouting my .22 has opened my eyes to shooter error issues when it comes to larger caliber rifles. Typically, if I sm having a bad day at the range with My 30.06...I can pick up the .22 and within two or three, rounds identify shooter error issues.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5217 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Also look at a .250 savage or a .257 Roberts.

Adequate for deer and very low recoil.

Golda Meier.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
While it is NOT for deer hunting, strongly feel a first rifle should be a .22- no recoil, and you will shoot a LOT more.

A lever action 30-30, like a Marlin 336 is a good deer rifle, pricey to shoot, and not a target rifle.

A 30-06 bolt action is simple, more than enough power for deer, capable of great target accuracy, but a lot of recoil for a new shooter/small person.

.308 will meet power and accuracy requirements, be a lot less pricey to shoot, possibly less recoil than 30-06. .243 lighter recoil yet, decent power and accuracy- as is a 7mm-08.

Real question, tho- does she shoot now? What does she shoot- and what does she like?
He won't be able to find .22 ammo.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2545 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

If you follow c3's advice when he gives it in a thread, you won't go wrong. From what I've read he is one of, if not THE most knowledgable person @FTF!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
If you follow c3's advice when he gives it in a thread, you won't go wrong. From what I've read he is one of, if not THE most knowledgable person @FTF!
I've noticed that, too.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Yeah I actually grew up around guns but recently started really getting into them. She goes trap shooting with me with a Remington 1100 12 ga and we also go out a shoot my walther p22 and a .22/410 over under. She has gotten to be a great shot with a .22 rifle with just the iron sights. I was looking for something a little bigger maybe bolt action. Thanks for the great replies!!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #9

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Maybe you should get her talking about what kind of

rifle she'd like...

...that said, I'm finding semi-22LRs, like the Marlin 60

or Ruger 10/22 with a decent scope are a lot of

fun.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5217 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

If you're willing to spend a few extra bucks, the Browning BAR stalker in 70-08 would be close to perfect.

Golda Meier.