Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Gift rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/gift-rifle-89947/)

trapshooter11 05-02-2013 09:14 AM

Gift rifle

Hello. I've recently gotten into shooting guns but I usually shoot shotguns or pistols. I'm looking to get my girlfriend a rifle as a gift but unsure of what kind. We plan to hunt deer with it mainly and target practice. It should be relatively cheap, easy to use rifle for beginners. I was thinking maybe a 30-30 or 30-6. Any suggestions?

c3shooter 05-02-2013 09:39 AM

While it is NOT for deer hunting, strongly feel a first rifle should be a .22- no recoil, and you will shoot a LOT more.

A lever action 30-30, like a Marlin 336 is a good deer rifle, pricey to shoot, and not a target rifle.

A 30-06 bolt action is simple, more than enough power for deer, capable of great target accuracy, but a lot of recoil for a new shooter/small person.

.308 will meet power and accuracy requirements, be a lot less pricey to shoot, possibly less recoil than 30-06. .243 lighter recoil yet, decent power and accuracy- as is a 7mm-08.

Real question, tho- does she shoot now? What does she shoot- and what does she like?

apwvsd40ve 05-02-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapshooter11 (Post 1233837)
Hello. I've recently gotten into shooting guns but I usually shoot shotguns or pistols. I'm looking to get my girlfriend a rifle as a gift but unsure of what kind. We plan to hunt deer with it mainly and target practice. It should be relatively cheap, easy to use rifle for beginners. I was thinking maybe a 30-30 or 30-6. Any suggestions?

IMO- look at a .243. If deer hunting is the specific purpose...this is a common caliber here in WV. Not punishong in terms of recoil and fairly accurate. I know this is not a commonly mentioned caliber here..but certainly worth looking into. Ammo availsbility is not terrible here right now either. I do agree though...that a .22 is important as well to learn the basics with. I cannot tell you the number of times shouting my .22 has opened my eyes to shooter error issues when it comes to larger caliber rifles. Typically, if I sm having a bad day at the range with My 30.06...I can pick up the .22 and within two or three, rounds identify shooter error issues.

locutus 05-02-2013 04:59 PM

Also look at a .250 savage or a .257 Roberts.

Adequate for deer and very low recoil.

Squawk 05-02-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
While it is NOT for deer hunting, strongly feel a first rifle should be a .22- no recoil, and you will shoot a LOT more.

A lever action 30-30, like a Marlin 336 is a good deer rifle, pricey to shoot, and not a target rifle.

A 30-06 bolt action is simple, more than enough power for deer, capable of great target accuracy, but a lot of recoil for a new shooter/small person.

.308 will meet power and accuracy requirements, be a lot less pricey to shoot, possibly less recoil than 30-06. .243 lighter recoil yet, decent power and accuracy- as is a 7mm-08.

Real question, tho- does she shoot now? What does she shoot- and what does she like?

He won't be able to find .22 ammo. ;)

eatmydust 05-02-2013 05:18 PM

If you follow c3's advice when he gives it in a thread, you won't go wrong. From what I've read he is one of, if not THE most knowledgable person @FTF!

Salvo 05-02-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1234180)
If you follow c3's advice when he gives it in a thread, you won't go wrong. From what I've read he is one of, if not THE most knowledgable person @FTF!

I've noticed that, too.

trapshooter11 05-02-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter

Yeah I actually grew up around guns but recently started really getting into them. She goes trap shooting with me with a Remington 1100 12 ga and we also go out a shoot my walther p22 and a .22/410 over under. She has gotten to be a great shot with a .22 rifle with just the iron sights. I was looking for something a little bigger maybe bolt action. Thanks for the great replies!!

therewolf 05-02-2013 05:57 PM

Maybe you should get her talking about what kind of

rifle she'd like...

...that said, I'm finding semi-22LRs, like the Marlin 60

or Ruger 10/22 with a decent scope are a lot of

fun.

locutus 05-03-2013 04:32 PM

If you're willing to spend a few extra bucks, the Browning BAR stalker in 70-08 would be close to perfect.