Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > This is getting old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default This is getting old

a while back i bought a savage model 12 bvss and put a bushnell elite 6-24X40 on top of it. When i shot it the first time i noticed it shot almost 2 feet to the right so i cranked the windage almost all the way left to get it to shoot on target. It shot some good .5 MOA groups but i knew somthing was wrong. I thought it was my scope or maybe the mounts. A friend of mine suggested i strap a different scope on it to see if this would correct the problem. Its confusing because the scope will be zeroed and then when i boresight it will be very close to being on target with only small adjustments, but when i shoot its almost 2 feet right WTF, and then i have to use all my left windage to get it on target. So i tried an older scope i had (zeroed and boresighted) first 3 shots 2 feet right. So i said what the hell and since i had an eotech laying around i strapped it on and after boresighting i got even worse results 2.5 feet right.

What the hell is wrong with this thing. If the scope is zeroed and is almost dead on when bore sighting it seems like everything (scope rings mounts) is aligned properly, and therefore shooting 2 feet to the right is a barrell problem?

Savage acted like they had no idea what a rifle was when i called their "Service" dept all they said was box it up and we will shoot it for you. Help me out here

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Bore sighting is a very "general" adjustment. It is intended to get you on paper at 50-100 yards so you can fine tune onto the target from there.

It sounds like your rifle is turning in great groups, just not where you want them to be?

The first thing I would check is that bases and rings are properly torqued. I would lap the rings, as well. A solid foundation will bring consistency.

Also, check the torque on the stock/action screws.

And as much as I dislike them, maybe a set of Leupold/Redfield bases and rings that allow windage adjustment? I hate the strain they can put on a scope tube, but if you are patient they can be adjusted and lapped accordingly and will work just fine.

If none of these work for you, that leaves you using up your scope's windage adjustments.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes it shoots excellent groups but just 2 feet from where they should be, and i can use the windage adjustments to get it on target at 100 but if i encounter any wind at longer distances all my left windage is used up already.I just bought some all steel burris rings and bases for it.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Those are the style of rings and bases like the Leup.

Be careful when adjusting the windage screws on the base. It will put some hefty stress on the scope tube if it isn't adjusted right after sighting in.

After getting the adjustments set, take the next step and lap the rings. Then remount the scope and re-check zero.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1078 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Hot Sauce,If you are shooting .5 MOA groups with it,then I would get some Burris Signature Zee Rings,and buy a set of Burris offset inserts and use them to offset your windage problem with your scope.

I personally have given up on Leupold style bases & rings and now just use Weaver or Picatinney style bases and only Burris Signature Zee Rings.

When I first setup my 110 FLP,I was using the Leupold style,and had the same type of problems-Ran out of Windage adjustment trying to boresight scope. I changed out the bases & rings,and everything is Deadnutz now.

Today,with the fast paced production of guns,everything is done by machines instead of by machinist,holes drilled just a fraction off on the receiver will cause major headaches at any range of shooting a scoped rifle.

Get a set of Zee rings and your troubles will be over!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Hot Sauce,If you are shooting .5 MOA groups with it,then I would get some Burris Signature Zee Rings,and buy a set of Burris offset inserts and use them to offset your windage problem with your scope.

I personally have given up on Leupold style bases & rings and now just use Weaver or Picatinney style bases and only Burris Signature Zee Rings.

When I first setup my 110 FLP,I was using the Leupold style,and had the same type of problems-Ran out of Windage adjustment trying to boresight scope. I changed out the bases & rings,and everything is Deadnutz now.

Today,with the fast paced production of guns,everything is done by machines instead of by machinist,holes drilled just a fraction off on the receiver will cause major headaches at any range of shooting a scoped rifle.

Get a set of Zee rings and your troubles will be over!
I did get the weaver style burriz z rings i dont remember if they are the insert adjustable kind, and the picitinny style 2 piece all steel bases, i guess il shoot it with these mounts and see what happens

im still concerned that even thought the rings bases, and scope are straight on, that somthing is wrong with the barrell because the old setup looked like it lined up during boresighting.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1078 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Here's an add with good photo's of the rings and inserts that I'm using.

Sniper Central - Burris Signature Zee Rings and offset Inserts