getting a free mosin, need advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > getting a free mosin, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I got an M-44 from my son a few years ago, and I've only had a chance to shoot it a couple of times. The 7.62 x 54R is an awesome round. It is the only rifle to ever bruise my shoulder. I now shoot it using a slip on recoil pad.

Most of the ammo is imported so watch out for corrosive primers. Winchester makes some jacketed soft point ammo for it, but can be difficult to find. Have fun, and shoot safely.

An interesting web site;
The Model 1944 Carbine

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #12

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

No need to be afraid of corrosive ammo. As soon as possible after shooting it , Pour a couple Qts of hot water through the barrel and clean as ant other rifle. I just unscrew the nozzle of the rince hose in my kitchen sink and thoroughly flush the bore when my wife isn't looking. This works very well and sometimes when I run a patch through afterward, it comes out clean. If you want to spend $25 or $30 on domestic ammo as opposed to $4 on milsurp then dont worry about it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #13

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

AAARRRGH! This is like yawning! Stop!

Now I want a Mosin!