Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > getting a free mosin, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default getting a free mosin, need advice

okay guys i am getting a free mosin from a buddy of mine that is cleaning out his gun safe. what should i look for to see if it is safe to fire? is there anything i should look for that would make it unsafe? it was made in 1955 and is an m44 carbine i know it has the triangle with the arrow in it. it has the signs of being in battle. all i need to know is what to examine to see if it is safe or not. this rifle was never in cosmoline and was heavily used. i will be putting it on sand bags and firing it with a string from a distance. but is there any tell tale signs i should look for that would clearly make it safe or unsafe? thanks for reading this and if you know anything i should be aware of just post it. ill be checking back later on today.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #2

Liked 2398 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 1887

Hey there, welcome to FTF.

IMO it would be irresponsible to tell you anything other than to take it to

a qualified, certified gunsmith if your buddy can't recollect ever firing it.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check the head space, examine the barrel for obstructions, check the stock for fractures, check the firing pin protrusion. If those things check out than it is most likely good to go. But I suggest you get a profesional to do those things. You can do the hide behind a tree and pull the trigger with a string thing, but if it catastrophically fails then you are out a mosin, if you take it to a professional and they find something wrong with it they can probably fix it (or more than likely you can if you have the tool that is supposed to come with the rifle) and then it won't blow up and you won't lose the rifle.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 05-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Just have him demonstrate how it shoots.

Don't take your turn until he runs a few loads down range.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

thanks guys for your posts. i will take it to my local gun shop and see if they can look at it. if they cant ill get a recomendation on where to take it. thanks guys

Old 05-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #6

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

The Mosin family uses a low pressure cartridge. It head spaces off the rim. In all my years of collecting and shooting them I have yet to see one that has had an issue. Most shops and smiths have no clue as to what they are looking at w/ a Mosin Nagant, bet they don't have head space gauges. Just as w/ many older pre '98 Mausers. I would have no issue loading it up and pulling the trigger w/ my finger.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Just have him demonstrate how it shoots.

Don't take your turn until he runs a few loads down range.
Ha, I like it

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

clean the bejebus out of it...load it...shoot the bejebus out of it....then clean inside barrel w/windex,wipe her down w/oil...tuck her away till next blastoff,then repet loading & bejebus shooting

Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

haha thanks guys ill post up some pics as soon as i get it home and get it cleaned up.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had a mosin for a while now, but have never gotten around to shooting it. Every now and again I'll look for video reviews on the thing, to get other opinions and I found this video. It made me feel a lot better about shooting it for the first time. When that time comes.

http://youtu.be/A9byqFz3p04
You can copy the site link, and paste it into your web address bar on top. This should take you to the video. It is titled Mosin Nagant 91/30 Bolt Disassembly. the entire video is useful, however; I believe when the video hits the 9:30 point, from there on the info will be especially helpful in terms of first shots with the firearm. It talks about how to inspect the firing pin protrusion, so the primer is struck correctly and safely. The tool that comes with the mosin nagant will be required. Best of luck. Hope all this helps.