general questions about two guns im looking at, value, quirks etc mosin and a stevens - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

general questions about two guns im looking at, value, quirks etc mosin and a stevens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeney View Post
Ok Stevens it is. Who can point me in the direction of a decent composite stock? Also any info/links on glass bedding and stiffening a stock would be great. Thanks guys. I'm going to do some more searching too.
If the drop into the same stocks as Savage I can highly recommend Bell & Carlson.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

From what I've read they use the same stocks. I'll look into that. Any good vendors for them?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
From what I've read they use the same stocks. I'll look into that. Any good vendors for them?
Yep, I've used these guys several times with good results:
http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/

Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Any current Savage stock will work:

http://www.combatstocks.com/

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://mannersstocks.com/

http://www.riflestock.com/index.html

For other parts:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly
godale Likes This 
Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #15

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I'd give $275 to 300 for both. I would also get to know and shoot the stevens before I replaced the stock. I have a Stevens 200 in 308 and really think it's a lot of gun for what I paid for it new. The barrel is easily changed but shouldnt need it if you are using it to hunt with. It is a rather lite barrel and heats up with multiple shots which affects the accuracy but the first 3 rounds fired rapidly will almost be one hole, after that the group opens up slightly. Great hunting rifle. The Mosin in good shape is worth $100, With the original stock thrown in not more than $150 unless it is a more desireable model. The bore is the primary concern. If the barrel has been cut down I wouldnt buy it. It is a $50 parts gun, maybe.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
I'd give $275 to 300 for both. I would also get to know and shoot the stevens before I replaced the stock. I have a Stevens 200 in 308 and really think it's a lot of gun for what I paid for it new. The barrel is easily changed but shouldnt need it if you are using it to hunt with. It is a rather lite barrel and heats up with multiple shots which affects the accuracy but the first 3 rounds fired rapidly will almost be one hole, after that the group opens up slightly. Great hunting rifle. The Mosin in good shape is worth $100, With the original stock thrown in not more than $150 unless it is a more desireable model. The bore is the primary concern. If the barrel has been cut down I wouldnt buy it. It is a $50 parts gun, maybe.
I am going to get the stevens first. I won't replace the stock right away. I don't want to spend that much anyhow. I was hoping for a basic black composite for 100 or less. The front end of the stock is flimsy that's really my only concern I would like to mount a bipod later, or earlier, and I figure it moves to much for that. What range were you holing three, Teed?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

You can stiffen up the stock by epoxying a metal rod under the barrel channel. Sometimes just fiberglass. In answer to your Question "100" yds.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
You can stiffen up the stock by epoxying a metal rod under the barrel channel. Sometimes just fiberglass. In answer to your Question "100" yds.
I have done a few stocks for friend and used epoxied old carbon or aluminium arrow shafts to stiffen a little without adding a lot of weight. Too muchh work though. Easier to just use the rifle as is and accept the limitations until you have the money for a stock upgrade.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I am sure ill get done and say it wasn't worth it but I may give it a try. I have a few old arrow shafts. I thought even fiberglass would work, what resin did you use? A fiberglass resi with a glass reinforcement would be sweet id think, like fiber mesh in concrete.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I am sure ill get done and say it wasn't worth it but I may give it a try. I have a few old arrow shafts. I thought even fiberglass would work, what resin did you use? A fiberglass resi with a glass reinforcement would be sweet id think, like fiber mesh in concrete.
Normally I use Acraglass from Brownells but for this project just about any 2 part liquid or putty type epoxy will do. One thing to remember, epoxy has a tough time sticking to most plastics long term so give it all the help you can. Roughen up the inside of the barrel channel and create some mechanical bonds by cutting groves etc into the plastic with a Dremmel. The more places the epoxy can ooze into and hang on to, the better off you are.

When you are done tape up the recoil pad, rough up the outside of the stock with coarse steel wool or fine sandpaper and go over the whole stock with alcohol or windex (you want no dust, oil or grease on the stock) and give it a few light coats of Alumahyde (Also Brownells) in your favorite color. I like Coyote, Dark Eart or Foliage Green. Remove the crappy camo paint from the metal with acetone and use Alumahyde flat black to paint it. You'll end up with a very nice professional looking finish on a MUCH better looking gun and the total cost will be under $40.

Oh while you are at it, take the recoil pad off completely and fill the hollow inside with spray urethane foam and let it set before you reinstall the pad. That will take away that annoying hollow sound.
axxe55 Likes This