Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > general questions about two guns im looking at, value, quirks etc mosin and a stevens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default general questions about two guns im looking at, value, quirks etc mosin and a stevens

Friend of mine has a mosin with a cheap scope and a new compoite stock. I don't know anything about them but hear they are a neat thing to pick up and decent acuracy. I found the 7.62x54r.com site so ill look at it again and see what model it is. I know this is vague but what could it be worth. Id say its rifle length like a 22 inch barrel has a front peep ring and a weird sort of mount plate in front of the action. The triggerguard has a triangulare piece coming down to it like a brush guard lol. I assume that affect capacity or something. He hasn't shot it and I didn't look in the barrel yet(don't know how to take the bolt out) but did notice the bolt sticking out of battery on me one time, could just need cleaned and lubed.

He also has a stevens 200 in .308 with a cheap scope, diy camo job(bad one). Basically a savage 110 but with a flimsy composite stock but it is free floating barrel if you aren't touching the fore end. He hasn't shot that either. He has a lot of guns. So I'm wondering what to offer on either one, hell or both. Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

A butchered Mosin brings just about no money at all. You can buy a new one for low enough money that it's not worth taking a chance on someone's kitchen amateur gunsmithing project.

A used Steven 200 in .308 should bring a hair over $200 in reasonable condition. Crappy camo job does little to value. A can or two of Alumahyde fixes anything he might have done.

What is your use for the gun anyway? Hunting?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

with the mosin and I do not know what may have been done to put the stock on I do not know if its a detailed job. with Stevens I don't know either. I just wanted a bigger caliber than what I already have at home want to do a little bit long range shooting as well as get into some hunting biggerr game, or least have the capability to do so. I don't mean I'm going to turn myself into a thousand yard shooter. Just be able to go out and mess around a little bit. I'm not fabulist with Scopes so that's another reason for some experience

Last edited by greeney; 04-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

Of the two guns, specialy if hunting is in your future I would take the Stevens but only if it was a great deal. As I mentioned before you can pick up a brand new Stevens for a really good price and it's a nice rifle. Cheap scopes will get you started but the difference between a cheap scope and even a reasonably prices scope like a Redfield or the less expensive Nikon lines in the mid $100 range is night and day. A .308 is a nice all around cartridge suitable for hunting just about any North American game and informal target shooting in a gun like the Stevens. VERY few folks have the inherent capabilities, equipment, training or discipline to be a good 1,000 yard shooters, though from reading some of the posts around here you'd think there is one every 5 feet.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Well I was leaning toward the stevens for practicality, minus the whole .308 shortage, and the mosin for the hell of it. The guy is a friend and said to find out what they are worth and we will talk. So he is trusting me to help us both out. I figured the steven was about 250 but sounds like a gun he knows nothing about, id be alright offering 200. The longest I've shot is 200 yds with 5.56 and a 16 inch barrel, I can do a 4inch group there and I've only done it twice. Basically I assume I'm not terrible but want to practice more and learn more about the system not just grabbing someones gun and squeezing off rounds. Do you know if the stevens can be rebarreled? I just wonder if the barrel is rough can I replace it. Altough I'm not too certain how to tell if the barrel is whooped either. Safe to say I'm still a novice's novice in many regards.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeney View Post
Well I was leaning toward the stevens for practicality, minus the whole .308 shortage, and the mosin for the hell of it. The guy is a friend and said to find out what they are worth and we will talk. So he is trusting me to help us both out. I figured the steven was about 250 but sounds like a gun he knows nothing about, id be alright offering 200. The longest I've shot is 200 yds with 5.56 and a 16 inch barrel, I can do a 4inch group there and I've only done it twice. Basically I assume I'm not terrible but want to practice more and learn more about the system not just grabbing someones gun and squeezing off rounds. Do you know if the stevens can be rebarreled? I just wonder if the barrel is rough can I replace it. Altough I'm not too certain how to tell if the barrel is whooped either. Safe to say I'm still a novice's novice in many regards.
The Steven's can be easily re-barreled but the chances of a barrel being burned out on a hunting .308 are pretty slim unless it was someone's only gun and they just shot the snot out of it. Very little chance of a rough bore with modern non-corrosive ammo unless the gun is rusty which I assume this one is not. Run a patch through the barrel with solvent and clean it up. If the patch sticks anywhere take a long hard look down the bore to see what's going on. If it's smooth in and out you are good to go.

But again, I would not worry much about it. The Stevens new is about low to mid $300's and for a used gun I expect to pay about 60-70% of the cost of a new one with the lower amount going to a gun that has been messed with like the one he has with the crappy paint job. For example I will go a little higher on more expensive guns and a lot lower on the less expensive ones. Let's say on the Stevens priced at $200 for $150 more I can get out of the box new so it would not be that desirable to buy used unless it was a screaming good deal. I might go to $225 for a friend. Now for a gun that retails at $1,000 I might go $700-800 if in perfect like new shape and go down from that steeply for any alterations.

There are about 14 pages of Moisins for sale on GunBroker and most are not moving. That should give you an idea of availability. I'd give him maybe $100 for it mostly because the stock probably cost him about $60. New ones can be had for low-mid $100 all over the place except for the more desirable ones like the Finn guns which go for a bit more IF they are in original configuration which this one is not.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

That's great man. Thank you for your input. I'll go for the Stevens and tell him what I've found on both and maybe grab the mosin sometime for the heck of it. Now to start shopping for 308 ammo!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeney View Post
That's great man. Thank you for your input. I'll go for the Stevens and tell him what I've found on both and maybe grab the mosin sometime for the heck of it. Now to start shopping for 308 ammo!
Anytime! You made a good call.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Take the Stevens, lots of aftermarket support, you can work on it yourself

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

godale Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Ok Stevens it is. Who can point me in the direction of a decent composite stock? Also any info/links on glass bedding and stiffening a stock would be great. Thanks guys. I'm going to do some more searching too.