Geez this marksmanship is gonna be hard!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Geez this marksmanship is gonna be hard!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1797 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Default Geez this marksmanship is gonna be hard!

Okay, scope’s zeroed in. I can get nice coin sized groups at 25 yards and & often at 100 BR off the bipod. Tried standing offhand yesterday and I’m all over the paper at 25 yards, sling or no sling. My point of aim takes tours all over the target. Geez this is gonna be hard!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Have you tried the figure 8 method or starting from the top or bottom of the target while squeezing the trigger and when you're center mass you shoot?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You may want to try from a kneeling position. It's a bit more stable than standing its a good way to start. Just don't get discouraged not everyone can shoot from all positions. Keep practicing.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Okay, scope’s zeroed in. I can get nice coin sized groups at 25 yards and & often at 100 BR off the bipod. Tried standing offhand yesterday and I’m all over the paper at 25 yards, sling or no sling. My point of aim takes tours all over the target. Geez this is gonna be hard!
Try using a sling to pull the rifle in tight ( hasty sling) and it'll help.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5811 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

try starting with the military manual on basics http://8reg.txsg.state.tx.us/Manuals8reg/FM3_22x9_Rifle_Marksmanship_Chan_4.9412913.pdf

here is how to properly use a sling http://www.illinoishighpower.org/general_highpower_info/ISRA%20SR%20Sling.pdf

proper sling use will definately make it a LOT easier. dont forget when shooting unsupported you want to use a low magnification or no magnification on optics

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Practice, practice, practice and once you get good you can not stop practicing. Like any other sport the more you play it the better you get.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

I seem to be using the spaghetti bowl method of aiming, regardless of any other method attempted. I've been trying to coordinate my firing with the rise or fall of my point of aim. I'll try a figure eight.

I am using the ‘hasty’ sling.

Gonna try the kneeling & sitting positions next time at the range to see what they’re like.

Thanks for the links, they’re cleaner than the downloads I found.

The scope’s only a 3x9, but I’ll try cranking down the scope next time I’m out too.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9206 Times on 3972 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

The LEAST accurate position is standing offhand. Think about that the next time you watch Olympic biathalon shooter- on skis! In increasing order of stability- Standing supported, kneeling, sitting, prone, benchrest.

Py attention to you whole body posture as well as the rifle. I see shooters that are standing with feet side by side, hips thrust forward, shoulders back, wobbly as hell.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7400 Times on 4450 Posts
Likes Given: 9165

Vincine, I know you're going to practice and be good at it. I'm impressed with your shooting already. I could only hope to be as good as you are at shooting.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

One of my first photos for the paper was down the barrel of a biathlon athlete ‘aiming’ at me. It jumped off the front page. I used to run track and know about heart rate, so I always knew the biathlon was a challenge. I just hadn’t realized just how hard it was until I couldn’t hold a POA on target when I hadn’t even exerted myself!

I think I’m pretty close to being in proper position, as least from the various diagrams & photos I’ve seen. I am surprised how many don't use a skeletal support position but have their support arm's elbow hanging out in the air instead. I’m going to tag one of the new club members who was an Army firearms instructor the next time I see him to ‘fine tune’ me.

(It occurred to me after I took my photo that I trusted her to not actually fire. I never saw the empty chamber!)